auto compact on close (1 Viewer)

boerbende

Ben
Local time
Today, 14:09
Andy and Boer - congratulations on creating what sounds like excellent systems.

Let me state that this forum has helped me enormously! Nearly all questions I had I found an answer and the rest I asked and got again an answer.
I tried to find similar help for a big player like Aspentech with IP21, I did not find it (yet).

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 13:09
Let me state that this forum has helped me enormously! Nearly all questions I had I found an answer and the rest I asked and got again an answer.
I tried to find similar help for a big player like Aspentech with IP21, I did not find it (yet).

Its a major advantage of MS Access as a platform that there is a huge amount of experience out there.

All these people poring over it means it must be one of the best understood platforms out there.

PS if you are wanting consultancy you could do worse than look to someone of the luminaries on here. Both yourself and Andy probably will likely be better than most consultants that are not MS Access specific .

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:09
VPN is not a viable option for using an Access app over the web. It will be too slow but Citrix and RDP are excellent options and are unlikely to require any application changes.

I think that need to be explained. While using a VPN to connect a local client running an Access front end to a back end on a server would not be ideal, there is nothing inherently wrong with using a VPN.

Connecting to a server with RDP via a VPN works fine. What matters is keeping the front and back ends on the same LAN.

Andy74

Registered User.
Local time
Andy and Boer - congratulations on creating what sounds like excellent systems.

The only other thing I would add is I like rolling backups for my development copy. So I can click a shortcut on my desktop and it will give a backup as for that second or minute. I have only had a development copy of access break on me a couple of times in 15 years.

I would echo everyone else - I haven't come close to reaching the limit of the front end MS Access for storing forms and objects. The limit is something like 32k of objects or 2gb - I think my biggest application after 15 years of development has maybe 1000 objects which is about 100mb (no data).

Thank you Lightwave, I must also say that this forum helped me a lot. Maybe I didn't make many posts but just because most of the answers were already there :)

Andy74

Registered User.
Local time
I think that need to be explained. While using a VPN to connect a local client running an Access front end to a back end on a server would not be ideal, there is nothing inherently wrong with using a VPN.

Connecting to a server with RDP via a VPN works fine. What matters is keeping the front and back ends on the same LAN.

In fact at the beginning I tried to work (I mean as a "user") remotely like that, i.e. with the Access running on my laptop and pulling the data through VPN from the tables in the company LAN: but it had decent speed only with very small tables exactly as said: possible but impractical. Then our IT manager suggested me RDP and it worked as a charm and in fact they are in the same LAN. Since then working remotely is very efficient for my users (which includes myself). I actually asked for another terminal server with a full Access installed on it only for myself: on this I occasionally make some devolopment remotely with full access to the linked tables and maybe pubblish an update of the app remotely.

boerbende

Ben
Local time
In fact at the beginning I tried to work (I mean as a "user") remotely like that, i.e. with the Access running on my laptop and pulling the data through VPN from the tables in the company LAN: but it had decent speed only with very small tables exactly as said: possible but impractical. Then our IT manager suggested me RDP and it worked as a charm and in fact they are in the same LAN. Since then working remotely is very efficient for my users (which includes myself). I actually asked for another terminal server with a full Access installed on it only for myself: on this I occasionally make some devolopment remotely with full access to the linked tables and maybe pubblish an update of the app remotely.

In my company the VPN was adviced, so I created a RDP solution myself, ending up with a private development server in our building which I use with teamviewer.
So my compliments to your IT-manager! Good IT support is worth gold (still searching for it myself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom