Auto Increment Default Value (1 Viewer)

jsmith1611

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:19
Hello, I need to have some default values for fields that increment.

I have 3 tables for a database that tracks microfilm tapes: tape, group, and sequence. There are multiple groups per tape and multiple sequences per group.

I have a main form for the tape, group is a subform of tape, and sequence is a subform of group.

I want the group number on the group form to default to "A" and then increment automatically when I create a new record in this subform. I want the sequence number to default to "1" and increment every time I add a new row in the sequence subform.

I think I need to use variables for this, but I am not sure of where to do the incrementing and how to not increment for the first group on a tape or the first sequence in a group.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,

Josh

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 13:19
I would use the form's On Current event to check for a new record ( Me.NewRecord = True ). If a new record then use the DMAX() function to look ul the largest value and then increment it and set the value to the control on the form.

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:19
only use the dmax function if the the db is single user only, otherwise you will need to embed the dmax function in a locking function, otherwise 2 users WILL return the SAME number.

BPBP

Registered User.
Local time
Hi, can you please explain more on the locking function? in short, how do i prevent 2 users returning the same number?

jsmith1611

Registered User.
Local time
HiTechCoach,

I have tried to implement the dmax function to auto increment and default my group numbers. Here is the code from the form:

Private Sub Form_Current()
If Me.NewRecord = True Then
group_num = DMax(groupNum, Group)
groupNum = group_num
End If
End Sub

group_num is a public string variable and groupNum is the form field.

I am getting an "Invalid use of Null" error when I try to create a new group.

Any more help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 13:19
Try something like:

Code:

group_num = Nz(DMax("[groupNum]", "[Group]"),0)
    Me.groupNum = group_num + 1
End If

End Sub

Your DMAX() is looking at the table/query named Group for the max of the field named groupNum. Is that correct?

jsmith1611

Registered User.
Local time
HiTechCoach,

Yes, group is the table and groupNum is the field. The problem may be that the group numbers are repeated on different tapes:

Tables:

tape
group
sequence

The tapeNum field is the foreign key on group. The groupNum field is a foreign key on sequence. All the tables have autoNumber primary keys.

jsmith1611

Registered User.
Local time
Here is the code that I am using on my sequence form:

Option Compare Database
Public increment As Integer
increment = DMax("seqNum", "Sequence")
seqNum = increment + 1
End If

End Sub

It is giving me a seqNum of 10 when it should be a 1. I think I need to include a condition in the dmax function that makes it look at only the current record when retrieving the dmax number. I am just not sure how to do that. The sequence form is a subform of the group form and is joined by the group_id number on both tables. The group form is a subform of the tape form and is joined by the tapeNum on both tables.

Thanks,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom