auto-insert and auto-update help (1 Viewer)

Cyberslam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:05
Hi all!
I was wondering if you guys can help me out with this one:

I would like to have data auto-inserted from a particular colum in table 'x' in to a defined column in table 'y'. similary, I'd like to achieve auto-updation of this data as well as deletion. Can anyone please provide some guidelines?

A little more detail :

I have a column "Client ID" in the table client_personal_info, the rows of which I'd like to have updated in the "Client ID" column in the client_business_detail table.

So if say, ClientID_1 is a row that has been added by the user, I'd like to have it auto-inserted in the client ID column in the client_business_detail table

thanks in advance for your help

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:05
Its possible but not recommended. What you should have is three tables:

tblClientInfo
ClientID (Primary key autonumber)
ClientFName
ClientLName
general info about the client

tblClientPersonal
ClientID (Number (long integer) unique index
DOB
homeaddress
etc,

tblClientBusiness
ClientID (Number (long integer) unique index
Businessaddress etc.

Then I would have a main form bound to tblClient and subforms bound to the other two and linked on ClientID. When the user starts a record in the subforms the ID will automatically be inserted.

Cyberslam

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the reply Scott.

I couldn't get you about this : "Then I would have a main form bound to tblClient and subforms bound to the other two and linked on ClientID. When the user starts a record in the subforms the ID will automatically be inserted."

Can you explain a bit ?

Thanks once again.

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
What didn't you understand? Access has a feature called subforms that allows you to deal with multiple tables (generally, forms are bound to a single table) on the same form. A subform is linked to the main form on a keyfield. When you enter a record in a subform, the keyfield is automatically entered. Try looking up subforms in Access help for more details. Also check out the Northwinds sample to see examples of subforms.

Cyberslam

Registered User.
Local time
^ Thanks for the reply.

One more question, can you please tell me how to increase the size of the checkbox in forms ?

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Cyberslam said:
^ Thanks for the reply.

One more question, can you please tell me how to increase the size of the checkbox in forms ?

Wish I could, but you can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom