Auto number not incrementing correctly (1 Viewer)

hockeyfan21

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:38
I have a temp table with an Autonumber PK field "EntryID" set to "no duplicates". The database is split with users having their own copy of the frontend on their desktops and the temp table is stored in a single backend.

Can anyone tell me why it is jumping numbers so drastically when users are uploading new records to the temp table?

For example - A group of records created on 10/14 started with an autonumber of 3149154 and, after about 30 additional records, the 31'st was assigned autonumber 8043206 and today it is assigning #'s like 12,742,724. I've never seen this before. Does it have something to do with multiple users hitting the same backend tables??

I am wondering what the potential downfalls of this could be - will it hit a certain # of integers and start erroring out. From the inception of the database, we only have a total of around 30000 records ever entered.

Thanks,

Toni

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
An Autonumber has two settings for how it decides on new values. There is Random and Increment, and yours sounds like Random.

hockeyfan21

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Mark - I did check that but forgot to mention in my first post. It is definitely set to "Increment".

Regards,

Toni

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 11:38
"Auto number not incrementing correctly"

What is "correctly" ?

You seem to have an idea about sequential incrementing autnumbers, but that has never been promised nor guaranteed, not in Access. You are only quaranteed uniqueness. Google access autonumbers

ButtonMoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:38
Can anyone tell me why it is jumping numbers so drastically when users are uploading new records to the temp table?
Probably because someone is inserting a value or values into the autonumber column. Whenever any person or process does that the next generated value for the table "jumps" to the number after the value inserted. The same jump happens for everyone, not just the person who inserted the value(s).

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yes, a table never uses the same Autonumber ID a second time, so if you insert a million rows and delete them, there will be a million Autonumber values the table will appear to skip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom