Question AutoExec versus startup form (1 Viewer)

BigHappyDaddy

Coding Monkey Wanna-Be
Local time
Yesterday, 18:42
First, I have searched this forum and didn't come across any answers to my specific questions, so I apologize if they exist and I missed them...:eek:

I know of two methods of "opening" an Access database. Using the startup form and the AutoExec macro. My questions....

Is there an advantage of using one method over the other?

Is one method considered standard and the other "only use as last resort"?

I have always used the startup form route until I wanted to open my first form as hidden and had an annoying screen flicker until I changed the startup and used AutoExec. That got me to thinking about the differences and if/when one method should be applied over the other.

Finally, are there any other methods?

I don't have a specific problem, just want to glean some knowledge from my betters! :D

Thanks!

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 19:42
Maybe someone else can add to this. It was back in the new release of Access 97 that we used the Autoexec. I think it was to pass some additional parameters or settings. It might have called on several steps. For example: we were using a beta version of SQL Server with a custom ODBC for AS400. It worked, so I really didn't pay that much attention. Kind of like my high-school History class. It was not interesting back then.

Hope that helps.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
In the older versions of Access there was no startup form option so an AutoExec macro was the only way to open the first form. Once they implemented that feature, I started using it exclusively unless I needed some extra code to run before the links were checked, etc. If you have an AutoExec macro, it truly is the first thing that runs, even before the internal checks for the backend links, so it gives you power to do some things which might not otherwise be possible.

BigHappyDaddy

Coding Monkey Wanna-Be
Local time
Thanks guys, that really helps.

I am not a "professional" developer, just the poor schmuck (sp?) that gets assigned the task(s) of building tools 'now', rather than wait for our IT division to free up the resources in 18 months. If/when the decision is made to give the project to IT, I want to be able to give them a working example of the tool. I want to avoid the non-value added thought of "What the h*ll was he thinking when he did this?" :eek:

Thanks again!

BTW - Bob, Congrats on 30,000+. You have been helpful many times! :D

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 19:42
Wow 30,000
Bob, you should get a medal for increasing the world productivity.
Your post have helped so many people so many times.
Think about how many time your solutions have been reused.
From my point, you have probably saved people over 100,000 hours.
That is one huge accomplishment for one person.

Can't thank you enough for helping me so many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom