Autonumbers Reset in Split Database (1 Viewer)

Pauline123

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:36
Hi all, I have split the database I have created via the splitter-wizard and found that all tables with auto-numbers have re-set back to 1.

How do I get around this problem - I have tried running an append query but it flags up an error message. For certain functions to work in the database I need to set autonumbers at different amounts - can anyone help me out.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Yesterday, 23:36
You cannot manually change autonumber fields like that. In fact, you should NEVER use an autonumber as actual data, especially if things rely on it.

The only way you're going to be able to do this is to remove the autonumber field entirely, create a replacement field of the same name with the type of number/long integer, and manually number each record. And if you continue using it as a primary key, create a function to generate a new number for each new record.

Last edited:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:36
Generally inserting a record using a query with the autonumber field set to the new seed value will make it number from there on.

However do take note of the above post about autonumbers should not have any meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom