AutoUpdate Front End Methods? (1 Viewer)

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:31
Hey Everyone, I have created a Database on our network.
Now I know that people can open the database front end right on a network share without a problem. And call me crazy but i just prefer that the front end database be stored on a user's local machine. So i created a method that, on open, tests to see if there is a newer version of my front end on the server, then if there is, it copies it, and replaces the existing client front end.
This allows me to update the databse and know that all users who have a copy on their machine will get an updated version the next time they use the database..

Does anyone else bother with this? Does anyone have a good method for doing this that perhaps i have not considered?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:31
What you've described (FE on each PC) is the normal, recommended approach. Many of us have written our own processes like you did, plus there are some free utilities out there, like this one:

http://autofeupdater.com/

I wrote my own utility, using a version table in the front end. The utility basically checks that table in the local and server versions and copies down the newer version as appropriate, then opens the local copy.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Actually it is recommended that you have the FE on the client computers.

And Bob Larson and Tony Toews (and others) have free Auto Updaters available for people to use.

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:31
GREAT! well that makes me feel better.. Nice to know it wasn't all a waste of effort.
I did see an auto update package, but i decided to go about it myself, thought the experience and learning would be beneficial (i like to know how stuff works)

Thanks guys!

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
but i decided to go about it myself, thought the experience and learning would be beneficial (i like to know how stuff works)

Nothing wrong with that. If you have the time and inclination it can be fun and enlightening to come up with a solution yourself. If you don't have the time, the inclination, nor the skill, you can rely on the free tools that exist. So thumbs up and good luck with any future stuff. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom