Avoiding Corruption (1 Viewer)

JamesJoey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:46
Should I be turning off the Name Auto Correct setting?
Also, is it a good idea to turn on Clear Cache on Close?

James

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:46
I leave the Track Name Changes but uncheck the Perform Auto Correct one. That's about it for me.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:46
It appears that some folks don't think this "Clear Cache on Close" setting matters.

My question is whether you used the trick of using a "keep open" method - i.e. open a recordset to a dummy table for the purpose of keeping the I/O channel open. This is because Access will share that channel rather than open another one - thus avoiding repetitive network lock arbitration. The thing to understand here is that the I/O channel doesn't correlate to the table pathway because Access SHARES (internally) those pathways when they lead to the same place.

I believe that if you REALLY do a "hard close" then the cache MUST be cleared, based on Windows security rules regarding object re-use. If you did some kind of "soft" shutdown, maybe the I/O channel is still alive.

I defer to my colleague theDBguy regarding the AutoCorrect and NameChanges settings.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 15:46
There are some experienced developers who do switch off name autocorrect completely as it can be problematic. In fact one well known member of this forum always refers to the feature as name autocorrupt.
However, in my opinion, used with care it can be very useful. I normally use the same settings as @theDBguy but temporarily switch on Perform AutoCorrect when appropriate. I also never bother clearing the cache as I have another method for dealing with issues such as those described in the very interesting Stackoverflow thread.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:46
Miscellaneous other thoughts on avoiding corruption

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:46
If you do not completely understand how Name AutoCorrect works, it is too dangerous to leave on. Leave it off. Turn it on when you need it to help you. Make sure ALL updates are propagated and turn it off again. Leaving it on but not allowing it to propagate is a recipe for disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom