Babylon 5 (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:15
It's been nearly 30 years since Babylon 5 premiered.

It was the highlight of my week. I couldn't wait to get home from work and watch it.

"Babylon 5"

It was on a par with Doctor Who, Tom and Jerry and the Magic Roundabout.

Browsing through Amazon Prime's video offerings, I found it! - Babylon 5 -

Amazon Prime Video is now hosting the series. I started watching it and marvelled at the CGI, the graphics are incredible in their quality for something near on 30 years old, it is akin to watching a well produced black and white offering. It possesses the same sort of aura of correctness.

I'm just over halfway through. The humans have beaten the Vorlons and the Shadows.

A few episodes back the earth president was assassinated, I couldn't help thinking that the shenanigans, the intrigue, the double crossing, everything that was happening to the earth government, the interaction between Babylon, 5 and the alien races, it seemed so much like today's politics that are happening in America between Biden and Donald Trump.

The corruption, the distortion of facts, the manipulation of the media. It's like Biden has a plan, a strategy based on Babylon 5!

Delenn was teasing Sheridan about his need to get involved in things, his need to get to the bottom of it, to sort it out. She said that you are the sort of person that gets a skein of rope and will spend ages untangling the rope just for the challenge. I thought, Yes, that's me too. I like nothing better than untangling rope and undoing, a particularly unwilling knot, gives me a great deal of satisfaction!

I think that many of you here are of my ilk and may well have watched Babylon 5 when it was first released, and you might want to watch it again.

It's well worth signing up to Amazon Prime for a month to watch it. I reckon.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:15
I was addicted to it. I got a box set of Babylon 5 a few years back, Londo Mollari was the most complex and interesting character.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Well, the version I know and love was done by The animals so why did I think it was the shadows?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:15
Eric Burdon was a typical gritty garage-band vocalist but his voice is right for that song. I will point out (as a purist) that the organist isn't playing the notes that are heard on that video, so they probably shot it separately from the music tracks.

As to "coming back with the original cast"... but not Mira Furlan (Delenn) :cry: R.I.P. Mira.

jpl458

Local time
Today, 03:15
It's been nearly 30 years since Babylon 5 premiered.

It was the highlight of my week. I couldn't wait to get home from work and watch it.

"Babylon 5"

It was on a par with Doctor Who, Tom and Jerry and the Magic Roundabout.

Browsing through Amazon Prime's video offerings, I found it! - Babylon 5 -

Amazon Prime Video is now hosting the series. I started watching it and marvelled at the CGI, the graphics are incredible in their quality for something near on 30 years old, it is akin to watching a well produced black and white offering. It possesses the same sort of aura of correctness.

I'm just over halfway through. The humans have beaten the Vorlons and the Shadows.

A few episodes back the earth president was assassinated, I couldn't help thinking that the shenanigans, the intrigue, the double crossing, everything that was happening to the earth government, the interaction between Babylon, 5 and the alien races, it seemed so much like today's politics that are happening in America between Biden and Donald Trump.

The corruption, the distortion of facts, the manipulation of the media. It's like Biden has a plan, a strategy based on Babylon 5!

Delenn was teasing Sheridan about his need to get involved in things, his need to get to the bottom of it, to sort it out. She said that you are the sort of person that gets a skein of rope and will spend ages untangling the rope just for the challenge. I thought, Yes, that's me too. I like nothing better than untangling rope and undoing, a particularly unwilling knot, gives me a great deal of satisfaction!

I think that many of you here are of my ilk and may well have watched Babylon 5 when it was first released, and you might want to watch it again.

It's well worth signing up to Amazon Prime for a month to watch it. I reckon.
Why is it that Biden is the one with a plan? I'm a centrist and I see more foolishness on the right then the left. Trump had a plan. Deny the election that he lost.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:15
Biden has no plan. His handlers? Maybe. Papa Joe is too far gone in the geriatric haze to have a plan beyond taking his next dump. Trump was and is too abrasive, but he actually had some good actions during his term. The problem was the continual hatred from the Dems that overshadowed his accomplishments in jail reform, redistribution of NATO funding responsibility, and a few other things that made sense. Trump Derangement Syndrome made it very difficult for him to do everything he wanted to do. I won't say he was perfect because he was not - but given the continuous noise from the Left, he didn't do that badly. Was the election stolen? I don't know, I wasn't involved in any recounts. It was close. Do I believe the election COULD have been stolen? Oh, HELL yes. The Democrats did in Chicago for years. But did they steal this one? I don't know and maybe don't care.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Why is it that Biden is the one with a plan? I'm a centrist and I see more foolishness on the right then the left
This comment sums up my feelings on politics, some good and some bad in both camps.

According to Jordan Peterson, the line between the left and right parties "the middle ground" is where the best politicking is enacted. If it veers into either the left or the right, then we are in trouble!

This has proved right many times throughout history.

The real question is why only two parties? I suspect the answer is that we have a left and right brain, either the left or the right brain can be, and usually is dominant.

I also suspect that left or right brain dominance at a particular instant can be in either side In other words, you get people that are unsure, or appear to sit on the fence. I'm one of those sorts of people!

I will know more once I have finished reading:-

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:15
Why is it that Biden is the one with a plan?
Biden has no rationale "plan" that has been publicly articulated in a transparent manner to the electorate. The Biden administration and the prior Obama administration have been progressively implementing their "plan" through obfuscation and deception. Reading between the lines, the Democratic "plan" is to "transform" the US into an absolute (theocratic) Democracy based on the Tyranny of the Majority. To phrase this differently mob rule. Essentially (give or take a few aspects) what we have been seeing is a repeat of both the French Revolution and the Bolshevik Revolutions.

The real question is why only two parties?
A very good question. Theoretically, the US Congress could have many representatives from various different parties, but it has not evolved. My unresearched speculation is that the President is elected based on receiving the most (electoral) votes from a particular party base. Consequently he is obligated to represent that party's interests, such as the Bull Moose Party, as an obscure example. Compare that to the Parliamentary System where the Prime Minster is selected, after consensus building, from the Parliament. That would seemingly allow for many political parties to have a say into who is elected Prime Minister (That assumes that no one party has absolute control of Parliament). This may allow the parliamentary system to have many pure ideological driven parties appealing for the public vote versus the US Presidential system of having loosely formed broad based parties coalescing into a binary system of two parties.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Some good information and history on Babylon 5 in this YouTube.

Unfortunately there's a long advertising section at the beginning of the video so you might want to skip a bit!

I didn't realise that deep space nine, a stationary space station, adjacent to a wormhole was a knockoff of Babylon 5!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Another update I'm currently reading J. Michael Straczynski's book. "Becoming Superman"

It's a fascinating book, Michael relates his journey on becoming a writer, an account that would offer inspiration for any would be writer.

There are lots of other gems in the book. I've been making notes, and will publish them when I finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom