Back Online after 3 years (1 Viewer)

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 01:59
It feels good:D

It Uses a template my daughter and I liked so I can't take any credit there and still masses of work needed with it but the navigation works and pics link OK.

http://www.databasedreams.co.uk/

An comments or error corrections would be gratefully received.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
An comments or error corrections would be gratefully received.

A Problems not a problem it's something waiting for a solution

That should be:

A problem's not a problem; it's something waiting for a solution

But it's not really catchy, is it?

I'd also stick the name of the site in the page title. (i.e. Database Dreams - Home)

For other errors, you may want to have a look at the W3C markup validation service - your site is definitely not what it says it is, with respect to the DOCTYPE: see here)

Also, on the products page (keep the site name in the title) and remove the apostrophe from database's - it's a plural, not a possessive or contraction and therefore is not needed.

The other grievance is that you have a strangely medieval need to capitalise things that don't need capitalised (i.e. Self-employed, Screenshots of Parts, Bespoke Database Solutions, etc.)

In other strangeness, I don't think hopping will work for you on the Products page:

We are hopping [sic] to have a full version available within the next few weeks.

On the Services page, Domin should be Domain.

Regarding your About page, you may want to consider having a read of this recent article from A List Apart.

The home page is rather bland. It really needs some spice to make me want to stay at the site beyond the first few seconds of landing on it. There's far too many colours and typographical differences for it to come together well. A photo and a decent logo may help.

Dreamweaver

Local time
The other grievance is that you have a strangely medieval need to capitalise things that don't need capitalised (i.e. Self-employed, Screenshots of Parts, Bespoke Database Solutions, etc.)

Thanks For Checking It out for me and I do have a habit of dropping into db Mod .

I'll have to check the alt tags

I did notice that and have updated it just not updated it yet.
Code:
I'd also stick the name of the site in the page title. (i.e. Database Dreams - Home)

hopping :eek:

I did stuggle with the about page a lot can't remember how many time it got redone :D

As I said there's masses to do on it and errors I need to fix thanks for looking and letting me know what ya have so I can fix them.

best wishes

mick

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Not a problem. My increasing interest in PHP, CSS, XHTML, and web standards makes me overly critical when it comes to sites. Another thing, now that I think about it, is that your navigation panel is too short for the area it descends into. Perhaps it may be an idea to stretch it horizontally so that it doesn't leave an unsightly area underneath.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Not a problem. My increasing interest in PHP, CSS, XHTML, and web standards makes me overly critical when it comes to sites. Another thing, now that I think about it, is that your navigation panel is too short for the area it descends into. Perhaps it may be an idea to stretch it horizontally so that it doesn't leave an unsightly area underneath.
I Love PHP Just wanted to get a basic site up Hate CSS But that because I'm new to it.

I will be adding to the nav panel under the design graphic a section for freeware and tutorials which I'm going to do with a screen cature plus links for things like add to favs, bookmark me.

one problem I have is what to put on the site and what I have available but should keep me out of trouble for a while LOL

Many thanks for your kind help

MICK

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:59
Don't take this incorrectly please...

If I come to your site looking for web services and I see:
1. You are using a canned site
2. No PHP
3. No CSS
4. No MySQL
I am going to question the quality of your services.

To me your site should be a showcase for your skills and assure me that you can make my web-dream come true (I realize you are just starting the site).

Now you may be stronger in the MS Access areana and if that is the case, I would bring that to the forefront.

IMHO
Good Luck!!!

Dreamweaver

Local time
Don't take this incorrectly please...

If I come to your site looking for web services and I see:
1. You are using a canned site
2. No PHP
3. No CSS
4. No MySQL
I am going to question the quality of your services.

To me your site should be a showcase for your skills and assure me that you can make my web-dream come true (I realize you are just starting the site).

Now you may be stronger in the MS Access areana and if that is the case, I would bring that to the forefront.

IMHO
Good Luck!!!

Code:
You must have been looking with closed eyes as I see at least 7 different examples of Access work in the products page.

My old site was called database-dreams.co.uk it was a PHP/MySQL Site I spent 3 and a half years building that even though I used the IPB forums as a backbone.
I'm happy with that template as it looks the way I want so don't have a problem there and knowing how long it will take me to build a PHP site from scratch for what I require it was the ideal solution.
just because you can't see it don't mean it's not there (IE One of my VB projects I'm building for the Chart Tracker project requires at least 2 MySQL dB's).
CSS i hate but it's not hard esp if you know how to do some searching on goggle or you have some very good friends who do know CSS.
You didn't read the Services page otherwise you would have got a few hints as to why I'm not worried about some things that I may not be so hot on at the min THEY ARE.
I already have one person who wants me to use a template for his site at the end of the day he's the client if he says can you use this as I like it I aint gonna say no even if it means leaving the Credit but the clients gets what they want and it's a simple job for me.
Again learn to read between the lines I get a lot of work from one source and do a lot of work there.
Not very constuctive or helpful really but I did ask for comments.

Mick

Dreamweaver

Local time
Plus I wanted to learn how to use Dreamweaver as I Had Always used PHP Ed or frontpage.

The template I used showed me what I wanted to know and got me around the dreamweaver basics in no time.

mick

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
Calm down...
Did I not preface my post with "Don't take this incorrectly please..."? And just look what you've done.
Take it in the spirit in which it is given.

The problem is you are posting your request for opinions at a site that is a "Technical Help" site. Which means most people here have a technical background or are interested in the technical aspect of computers/programming. So the remarks you get will be quite different than the remarks you may get at a site like "www.don'tyoujustlovemywebsite.com" (I made that up, but you get my point I hope).

Your site does promote database design, but you also have other services highlighted as well (pretty strongly I might add). You highlight MySQL/PHP and web design almost as much as database services and since you are at a technical website you are running the risk of comments on your methods and approach.

Like you said...you asked, and if all you want is a pat on the back (like you would get at "www.don'tyoujustlovemywebsite.com") then maybe that is where you should go.

Thank you sir and have a nice day!

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
The problem is you are posting your request for opinions at a site that is a "Technical Help" site. Which means most people here have a technical background or are interested in the technical aspect of computers/programming. So the remarks you get will be quite different than the remarks you may get at a site like "www.don'tyoujustlovemywebsite.com" (I made that up, but you get my point I hope).

Sounds a bit hardcore to me :D

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
dan-cat

Point taken (a bit out of context though), however I still stand by my statements.

I not only lean towards the technical side but I also work in the marketing department for a very large company (I think they will take over the world someday). So I am making my statements from two points of view.

And yet again, he asked and my comments were not intended to be cutting and I thought I made that point clear

When you put yourself out there it does require you to be thick skinned and open to what may come.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
When you put yourself out there it does require you to be thick skinned and open to what may come.

I agree - if you ask for opinions, you'll get them and for several you might not like what they said, but you should take them to heart and not try to defend against them. They are, exactly that, someone's opinion. If they didn't like something and you do, you can either change it or keep it. The choice is up to you.

That being said, I would like to add that I do think that the site is, okay. I don't think it stands out to me as a great site, but it is adequate. I think that if you could really get some good design work into it and show off some of your daughter's skill at graphics, that would be a good thing. I would expect that, if you are trying to sell yourself, you would put forth the best effort to sell yourself on the first impression, which is visiting the site (maybe).

It's actually the same thing with several "brick and mortar" businesses I've seen where their building looks horrendous. It looks like it was built 150 years ago and still has the original paint job. I, for one, regardless of how good they really are won't even give them a try (unless I got a real stellar review from someone I knew) because I don't have a good impression of them from my first glance.

The next thing - and Mick please don't take this wrong as I'm only trying to help - is that you really need some good eyes proof-reading your writing. Your spelling sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. And that is another turn-off for me. If I am entrusting myself to a developer for a website, or database, or any programming, I want things to actually be spelled correctly. An example is on your "Services" page:
Web Hosting, Domin Registration, Computer systems and Maintenance.
I don't think I would want a DOMIN, maybe a DOMAIN, but not a DOMIN.

I hope that helps and will help you make things better so you are really successful. I think you are talented and have a lot to offer. I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I agree - if you ask for opinions, you'll get them and for several you might not like what they said, but you should take them to heart and not try to defend against them. They are, exactly that, someone's opinion. If they didn't like something and you do, you can either change it or keep it. The choice is up to you.

That being said, I would like to add that I do think that the site is, okay. I don't think it stands out to me as a great site, but it is adequate. I think that if you could really get some good design work into it and show off some of your daughter's skill at graphics, that would be a good thing. I would expect that, if you are trying to sell yourself, you would put forth the best effort to sell yourself on the first impression, which is visiting the site (maybe).

It's actually the same thing with several "brick and mortar" businesses I've seen where their building looks horrendous. It looks like it was built 150 years ago and still has the original paint job. I, for one, regardless of how good they really are won't even give them a try (unless I got a real stellar review from someone I knew) because I don't have a good impression of them from my first glance.

The next thing - and Mick please don't take this wrong as I'm only trying to help - is that you really need some good eyes proof-reading your writing. Your spelling sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. And that is another turn-off for me. If I am entrusting myself to a developer for a website, or database, or any programming, I want things to actually be spelled correctly. An example is on your "Services" page:
Web Hosting, Domin Registration, Computer systems and Maintenance.
I don't think I would want a DOMIN, maybe a DOMAIN, but not a DOMIN.

I hope that helps and will help you make things better so you are really successful. I think you are talented and have a lot to offer. I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Thanks Bob,

It wasn't what was said that pulled my chain but the way it was said.

DOMIN :eek: And the spell checker missed it, But my spellings always been a problem but as luck has it a very good friend has Dr in front of his name.

I do like the look of the site it's simple and with a bit of work and maybe some PHP it could turn into something nice but I wanted something simple as if you saw database-Dreams then I don't want something that size again but I am thinking of using the IPB Forums and editing them as I did before.

The site is more for me to have my programs and freeware but has been done 6-8 months before I intended due to a number of events happening at the min with work Etc and without the support of my friends I couldn't have got this far.

I thank you for your kind words and hope I can live up to them.

Sometimes comments made can become an attack but I shouldn't have taken the bait but at times that's me esp at the min maybe a few pints of the amber nectar will chill me out again LOL

It's more of a mission now to see if I can turn it into something nice without going mad

Thanks Bob
p.s I'll post another tutorial later this time for subforms on unbound main forms.

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
Sometimes comments made can become an attack

And sometimes we're just looking to be attacked.

but I shouldn't have taken the bait

And maybe there was no bait set at all.

Perhaps there were no sinister motives at all and the comments were made with good intensions. I guess we'll never really know, will we?

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 08:59
if i may go back to sj's comments for a sec...
- it looks like you got the semicolon (;) but missed the apostrophe (problem's).

a rule of thumb i learned some time ago: when writing something official, don't use contractions - don't say "don't", say "do not"; don't say, "A Problem's Not...", say, "A Problem Is Not...". it's hard to get used to because it seems too stiff, but it works, partly because people still read it as though it were a contraction, even if it isn't. weird, but true.

- i know slogans are hard to come by, but perhaps consider a minor revision. if you say, "... it's something waiting for a solution", it begs the question, "what is that something?" answer: a problem. so, it's still a problem. possible revision: "A Problem Is Just A Solution Waiting To Happen". this way it's no longer "something waiting for a solution", it's a solution! the premise is still the same, just different wording.

- i have to agree with the spelling comments. they can bite you. (on the Other Products page: "From Javes Security Servises - Works Contol System" -- services is misspelled.

anyway, good job and hth.

p.s. that chart tracker looks freakishly good.

Dreamweaver

Local time
And sometimes we're just looking to be attacked.

And maybe there was no bait set at all.

Perhaps there were no sinister motives at all and the comments were made with good intensions. I guess we'll never really know, will we?

It's just history to me maybe I shouldn't see things that I shouldn't I'm just happy to have something online that I can work on if you do have suggestion on ways I can improve the site then I'm a happy bunny.

Dreamweaver

Local time
if i may go back to sj's comments for a sec...
- it looks like you got the semicolon (;) but missed the apostrophe (problem's).

a rule of thumb i learned some time ago: when writing something official, don't use contractions - don't say "don't", say "do not"; don't say, "A Problem's Not...", say, "A Problem Is Not...". it's hard to get used to because it seems too stiff, but it works, partly because people still read it as though it were a contraction, even if it isn't. weird, but true.

- i know slogans are hard to come by, but perhaps consider a minor revision. if you say, "... it's something waiting for a solution", it begs the question, "what is that something?" answer: a problem. so, it's still a problem. possible revision: "A Problem Is Just A Solution Waiting To Happen". this way it's no longer "something waiting for a solution", it's a solution! the premise is still the same, just different wording.

- i have to agree with the spelling comments. they can bite you. (on the Other Products page: "From Javes Security Servises - Works Contol System" -- services is misspelled.

anyway, good job and hth.

p.s. that chart tracker looks freakishly good.

Thanks wazz, I like your slogen and gonna knick it DO NOT TELL anybody LOL

The chart tracker is an 8 year project thats in it's final version and needs the sites MySQL for uploading/downloads info for items plus pics which will be done with a small VB Attachement.

You can download a freeware version from if ya wanna play I might even send ya some charts Not any help at the min as working one all the tutorials which are videos
http://chartheaven.9.forumer.com/index.php?showforum=19
Servises :eek: Did notice that but for some reason left.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
My advice:

Stick your products or at least a featured product on the homepage.

From this line

"Please feel free to download any of our currently available projects from the Products page."

I get the impression that I can download a freebie. I couldn't find one though which was disappointing :( Do you supply trial versions for free? If so, put a link etc on the homepage. Try and get the browser involved in the site as soon as they land on it.

A brief description of what you do on the homepage is fine, but you'll really generate more interest if you provide something that the browser can get their hands on.

Dreamweaver

Local time
My advice:

Stick your products or at least a featured product on the homepage.

From this line

"Please feel free to download any of our currently available projects from the Products page."

I get the impression that I can download a freebie. I couldn't find one though which was disappointing :( Do you supply trial versions for free? If so, put a link etc on the homepage. Try and get the browser involved in the site as soon as they land on it.

A brief description of what you do on the homepage is fine, but you'll really generate more interest if you provide something that the browser can get their hands on.

Was thinking of adding a pic on that page and am trying to sort which would be best.

There will be a freeware section with all in there free all others will be 60 day trials I'm still building a lot of sections at the min but will be moving all the free versions over to the server this weekend.

I might do a hot download sort of thing good idear thanks

best wishes

mick
p.s. changed the background not sure though but gonna do some work with the banner section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom