Best Practice for Creating Data Entry (1 Viewer)

whojstall11

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:07
I have a database that tracks Credit information. I trying to implement something that my users can paste in a large amount of data (Name, CardNumber, Amount) into a table (ImportFundedCardstbl) OR a form that triggers an email function anytime somebody adds new entries to the database. My question is should I create a table or a form for them to paste data in and how do I tell access when ImportFundedCardstbl is updated create and email.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:07
Cut and paste is not a good solution for data entry. Link to the source of the data and then use an append query.

If you are adding multiple rows via an append query or some other method rather than doing it one by one with a form, you'll need a way to identify the "batch" of data just entered so you can send an email to each name in the batch.

Forms use events to trigger code. So, if you want to do something only after you add a record, you would put the code into the Form's AfterInsert event. But if you are doing a bulk load from a query, you will need to trigger the "something" immediately following the execution of the query.

So - where does the data come from? If it is a another database or a spreadsheet or a text file, we can easily import it. If it is an email or a word doc, it will be harder to automate but you could copy and paste EACH field. You can't copy and paste a string unless you are prepared to decompose the string into it's constituent parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom