Bluetooth for older TV with criteria (1 Viewer)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:24
I have a smart-TV (samsung ~2015) that does not have bluetooth. I have seen/googled various BT adapters that can be used with BT Headphones. Seems like the obvious solution.

Now the additional criteria:
-The TV is on a wall mount that turns partially but difficult to get to all ports on regular basis.
-The BT and headphones would be for TV/youtube while walking on "loud treadmill".
-BT really only required while on treadmill (1-1.5 hrs/day)
===It would not be convenient to wrestle with TV and insert cable to TV port on regular basis........................======

Is there a solution where I could plug in a cable, and let it hang down, then when BT is needed plug the BT adapter into the cable, and
remove the BT adapter and have regular TV speaker output?
Thanks in advance.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 18:24
Yes, just get a 3.5mm male to female cable.
Be aware though that if watching TV, the sounds is a little behind the visual on BT.
I mainly use mine for listening to music loud on Youtube or Sky Arts that shows concerts.

However ===It would not be convenient to wrestle with TV and insert cable to TV port on regular basis........................======
I am not aware of anything that can do that, UNLESS you also use a soundbar and audio switch. Then the audio can go to BT or soundbar without disturbing the connection to the TV.

Possiibly check if the TV has more than one audio output? Mine only has the headdphone socket. :(

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:24
I had same situation. Bought a USB plugin from Amazon to add BT to TV so could pair with wireless ear buds. I just leave the USB in and sound output only switches when earbuds are active. But if you want to have a cable, sure, get one that has USB male/female ends.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:24
Thanks both,
If I used digital audio cable to connect/disconnect the BT adapter --assuming I get one that has that capability--
does the audio signal to TV speakers just stop if the BT adapter is not connected? I ask because the digital audio(optical) port is closest to the accessible side of the TV.

Update: 4:45
I reviewed the TV manual, I can set the tv speakers or audio output from a menu via the remote. So theory says I could use a BT adapter and plug into external speaker port then set the menu to audio output AND that should provide BT thru headphones. I adjust the menu to TV speakers and were back to regular TV.

Sounds like a plan. Don't need to deal with Digital/optical cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom