Solved Break key on Microsoft Surface Pro (1 Viewer)

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:04
I'm currently doing some work on a site where they want me to work on a site supplied Microsoft Surface Pro. There's no Break key. Anyone know the key combination to simulate a Break key press?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:04
Don't know exactly; but on some laptops, it's like Ctrl+Fn+B or Ctrl+Fn+C.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:04
Seems to be different for each version.

Ctrl + FN + C

Windows + Esc

One option would be to plug in a USB keyboard. Easier to use then as well?

My two bosses have Surface Pros and I have asked them, but do not hold out much hope. :)

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:04

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:04
I got the solution from another place. It involved a registry edit to map the F10 key such that Control + F10 does the job. See details at https://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/break-pause-key-on-surface-book-2.25538/

@DBguy, @Gasman thanks for responding but those key combos did not work for me. A USB keyboard could have worked but one was not available on site and I didn't want to carry a keyboard around with me.
Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out and thank you for sharing your solution. Cheers!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I got the solution from another place. It involved a registry edit to map the F10 key such that Control + F10 does the job. See details at https://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/break-pause-key-on-surface-book-2.25538/

@DBguy, @Gasman thanks for responding but those key combos did not work for me. A USB keyboard could have worked but one was not available on site and I didn't want to carry a keyboard around with me.
Well my two bosses did not know what the break key was. :)

TBH I was envisaging you having to use their Surface Pro on site, so a USB keyboard would be available, even if you had to take one from a non used PC.?

Pretty bad form, having to get into the registry to allow a break key. A lot of people would not be able to do this or would not be comfortable doing this, but I suppose those who do need the break key should be able to.?

Would you mind exporting the key and posting it here please.?

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@Cronk Would you mind posting that link for the key mapping please.?
There is a user in another forum who is a quadraplegic and cannot press two keys at once, and I was thinking your solution might be able to be utilised for this purpose.?

TIA

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@Cronk
Thank you for that. Sadly that is specific to your situation. :(
I was hoping it would be something that could easily be translated to another keyset/keystroke. :(

However I did think of the OSK and that would appear to give him an option. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom