Brining up records in same form (1 Viewer)

tootman

Local time
Today, 17:04
I have a form that I use to keep track of trainees and their hire dates, training deadline, and course information in a subform. The data is qutomatically inserted into the trainee table, and the deadline date is calculated via a query. What I am trying to do, and haveing trouble with, is having the ability to type in a trainees name, which is the primary key in the trainee table, and have the form display the info without telling me I am dublicating the information. Do I need to use a query? If so, how can I set this up? I would appreciate all the help you can give me.

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Are you trying to type in a Name so the form will display the information about that person? If so then create a combo box on your form using the Wizard and select the third item on the first screen, "Find a record...". This will let you select the Trainee's name and then show you their record.

If this is not what you are trying to do then try rephrasing your question and someone here should be able to help you.

tootman

Local time
I made the combo box, but the information in the other combo box soesnt' change, and neither does the other form fields, only the info in the subform changes. Then when trying to exit, it gives me the message that it can't update because it can't make dublicates, how do I stop that, but still be able to look up information on trainees, and still enter information when I need to?

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
I am really not sure what you are trying to do. You need to be more specific in describing what you want and what you have done. It sounds like your relationship is incorrect as seaching for a record should not create a new one. You might want to look at the Orders form in the Northwind sample database that comes with Access to see how a form/subform is used. This form also has a combo box that allows you to find a record and display it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom