Building a 5 Acre Pond! (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:20
Not too far from the area where my Mother grew up as a little girl (in central Alabama), someone built a catfish pond that was probably 4 acres or a little more. If I drive from my cousin's house towards Bessemer, I pass that pond. In fact, passed it more than once in September when we evacuated there after the passage of Hurricane Ida.

As to the crawfish-boil recipe, I always preferred Zatarain's spice mix, but in Alabama they might have some trouble finding that brand. Also, based on typical central Alabama cuisine, it might be that Zatarain's is too spicy for their tastes. I can eat Cajun-boiled crawfish to a certain limit before the natural oils clash with my liver issues. However, the potatoes and corn and shrooms boiled in the after-boil of the crawfish? Man, that is some GOOD eating. Same recipe works great for shrimp and crabs, by the way.

Just in case anyone is unsure, crawfish and crayfish and crawdads are all talking about the same thing - which the French call ecrevisse.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:20
For what it is worth, many Cajuns mix their own combinations of spices for seafood boils, but the Zatarain's pre-mixed product is highly popular among the Cajun community. I get to see my Cajun cousins every so often when my wife visits her parents' graves in Chack Bay, about 5 miles outside of Thibadeaux, Louisiana. Sometimes we talk about food in a serious way, comparing recipes and such. My wife's jambalaya and gumbo are both really good. She prefers the chicken-and-sausage gumbo to the shrimp-and-crab gumbo, not to mention that the cost of crab meat is through the roof at the moment.

I found a reference to that "making a pond" series online but so far can't tell where they are except by implication. I'm sure they reference it, but I'm not going to listen to a dozen-and-a-half rambling videos to listen for auditory clues. As flat as that land appears to be, they are in southern Alabama, probably not that far from Mobile. The Cajun influence of crawfish boils doesn't reach that far north from the Gulf Coast because once you get as far north as Montgomery (the state capitol), their food becomes incredibly bland.

I dearly love my Alabama cousins - but their cuisine is incredibly bland. If it weren't for the freshness of their home-grown vegetables, I would do just as well with old frozen veggies, flavor-wise. And let's not talk about their coffee.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:20
I think they own a peanut farm near Mobile. He's going to have contest where you can bass fish at his pond. They seem like nice folks.

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:20
We had a small pond back in Missouri. My dad put some channel catfish in it. I never got a chance to try to catch any of them. With really no predators, they got pretty big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom