Buy a book (1 Viewer)

lynsey2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:15
Hi you lot!

Just woundered if you could give me a suggestion on what books would best suit me for VB and using Access 2000. I am in 2nd yr at uni doing computing im on a workplacement for a year now and i have to design this prescription printing system for doctors. so far im ok(ish)with a little help from this forum but getting v.technical now and i really do need a good VB book and one for Access 2000 aswel! easy reading please!

any clues would be great!
TA!
Lynsey

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Lyns i've got a good vb book at home it's so good i can't remember the name of it! I can let you have a little browse through it next time I see you if you like and you can decide for yourself if it's any good. Of course I don't mind If you want to hang onto it for a while.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:15
Try the Access Cookbook, O'Reilly, Getz, Litwin, & Baron. $49.95 w/CD. I would guess that it answers about 70% of the questions most frequently asked asked on this forum. I cannot recommend it strongly enough even for experienced programmers. Let me just list a selection of topics from the table of contents:

1. Queries
..Specify Query Criteria at Runtime
..Using a Form-Based Parameter Query
Limit the Items in One Combo Box Based on the Selected Item in Another
..Create a Query That Uses Case-Sensitive Criteria
2. Forms
..Highlight the Current Field in Data-Entry Forms
..Use an Option Group to Collect and Display Textual Information

3. Reports
..Print the Value of a Parameter on a Report
..Create a Page Total
..Print Only Records Matching a Form's Filter

6. Managing data
..Save with Each Record the Name of the Last Person Who Edited It and the Date and Time
..Determine if You're on a New Record in a Form

7. Exploring VBA in Microsoft Access
..Build Up String References with Embedded Quotes
..Programmatically Add Items to a List or Combo Box

8. Optimizing Your Application
.. Make Slow Forms Run Faster
Use Rushmore to Speed Up Queries

AND MUCH MORE - they should give me a commission :)

Another good book is Troubleshooting Access Databases, Microsoft, Virginia Andersen. This book is "only" $19.99. It does not come with a CD. This book has topics like:

..My form is blank where there should be data
..I'm getting the wrong results with date calculations
..I'm having trouble creating, organizing, and sizing a tab control
..I get the wrong records when I combine criteria

Another similar book is Access Answers, Osborne, Mary Campbell. $16.95. This book is for older versions of Access (maybe an update is available) but I would still recommend it since people still make the same mistakes with Access XP as they did with A95 and this book covers a lot of them.

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
You forgot the most important book Pat how about "A book by Pat" that's got to be the best any day!

Drevlin

Data Demon
Local time
I personally use Access 2002 VBA Handbook by Susann Novalis and Dana Jones. Published by Cybex. It's $60.00 but it does come with a CD (not that I use the CD). I use it often as a resource book. Especially when dealing with ADO/DAO. (It's just too hard to remember the exact format for everything I try to do. *would kill for photographic memory* )

Of course I think I use the Access Help files a ton more then any of my books (and they're free).

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I keep finding books like the Access Cookbook and I don't think that I can do better but I haven't abandonded the idea totally.

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
While we're on the subject of good books I am just about to enroll on a course to learn web development anyone know any good books for this to get me started?

Thanks
Hay

ps Pat don't give up on it eveyone on this forum respects you and you have a way of puting things accross to people to help them understand far better than most books!

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Hayley,

In your first response to this thread you mentioned that you had a good book on vb but couldn't remember what it was. Can you post its title?

Autoeng

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Autoeng

Sure no problem I'll look into this for you tonight and tell you tomorrow. It got me through my course successfully anyway now that must have been a hard job!

Hay

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Autoeng

The book is called Visual Basic, A complete Course by Phil Jones. It's around HND level so it's good for people starting out with VB.

Hay

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom