Calculate Age In Full Years if Over 2 years old and Months if Under 2 years old (1 Viewer)

JJFernandez

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:06
Hi all,

I would like to populate the age of a person in an unbound control in an access form (also a query) by comparing Now to dob. I can calculate full years or full + partial years in decimal format. I'm wondering if anyone has a tip on how I could produce a result of a full year if over 2 years of age and a value in months ONLY IF the age is less than 2 while also adding a text string of "Months" into the text box. I'm trying to make the result more practical than ie/ 0.4565 years.

Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered. I did try to search for it but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:06
Hi Jeremy. You should be able to use an IIf() statement to display the correct age. Are you using a custom function to calculate the age?

JJFernandez

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the reply. So far I've just used the DateDiff expression to calculate full years within the text box.

So I could create an if then statement saying some like if (DateDiff("yyyy",[dob], Now()))<2 then (DateDiff("m",[dob], Now())&"Months" or something similar? Forgive my poor syntax I don't do this often...

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:06
Maybe
Code:
IIF(datediff("m",#01/01/2010#,Date)<24,datediff("m",#01/01/2010#,Date) & " months",datediff("yyyy",#01/01/2010#,Date) & " years")
as the textbox control source. Or you can assign a function (yes, with an IF Then block) if that looks too messy. You would replace the hard coded dates above with your own data.

JJFernandez

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for that, looks promising. I'll give it a go and report back...

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:06
If that is directed to me, then it's another notch in my gun! I think that makes 2. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom