Calculating the information for a text field on a form from a query (1 Viewer)

guinness

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:33
Before I read your last post I managed to compile the database by changing my code to this:
Code:
Function LastHol()
Dim startdate As Date
Dim Name As String
startdate = Forms!Resourcing!Start_Date
Name = Forms!Resourcing!Trainer_Name
Forms!Resourcing!Last_Hol = DLookup("[Start_Date]", "Hours Holiday_P1", [Trainer_Name] = Name And [Start_Date] < startdate)
End Function
I then tried to call the function using Start_Date after update event but got the debugger highlighting
Code:

The example I used was the LDate example as it seemed to more closely match what I was trying to do. Can you be more specific about the syntax? Am I even on the right lines?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:33
= DLookup("[Start_Date]", "Hours Holiday_P1", [Trainer_Name] = Name And [Start_Date] < startdate)
End Function[/code]
The part I'm referring to is in red. If you look at the examples in the link provided, there's an example that describes which parts to put in quotes and which shouldn't.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 14:33
Post 19 and 21 Use Name as field name. This is reserved and should not be used.

guinness

Registered User.
Local time
Does this look any better?
Code:
Forms!Resourcing!Last_Hol = DLookup("[Start_Date]", "Hours Holiday_P1", "'[Trainer_Name]'" = Name And "[Start_Date]" < startdate)

The debugger still kicks in even before it gets to that line of the code.

The debgger says invalid use of null and when I debug highlights the line I mentioned above

guinness

Registered User.
Local time
Ok thanks for the tip about name. I've replaced each incidence of the with tName so the code now looks like:
Code:
Function LastHol()
Dim startdate As Date
Dim tName As String
tName = Forms!Resourcing!Trainer_Name
Forms!Resourcing!Last_Hol = DLookup("[Start_Date]", "Hours Holiday_P1", "'[Trainer_Name]'" = tName And "[Start_Date]" < startdate)
End Function
but it's obviously still wrong

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Before you begin to assign anything to fields, first use a MsgBox to get it working.
i.e. MsgBox DLookup(... etc ...)

Test one of the following with a MsgBox():
Code:
Msgbox DLookup("[Start_Date]", "Hours Holiday_P1", "[Trainer_Name] = Forms!Resourcing!Trainer_Name And [Start_Date] < Forms!Resourcing!Start_Date")

Msgbox DLookup("[Start_Date]", "Hours Holiday_P1", "[Trainer_Name] = '" & Me.Trainer_Name & "' And [Start_Date] < #" & Me.Start_Date & "#")
... pay attention to the quotes and hash characters used in the second example. The first one doesn't need it because it's inside the function. And I see that you're still using the Trainer Name instead of the Trainer ID.

guinness

Registered User.
Local time
Ok you're forgetting who it is you're dealing with here. Am I creating a new function called MsgBox() or am I pasting the code into the function I've already posted?

Can you paste the full code that you want me to test please?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
You are replacing this line:
Code:
Forms!Resourcing!Last_Hol = DLookup(...

guinness

Registered User.
Local time
Not working

With the first I get invalid use of Null and again it highlights the line above the code that you sent
Code:
tName = Forms!Resourcing!Trainer_Name

With the second I get compile error, Invalid use of the Me Keyword and it highlights the Me at Trainer_Name in red below

Code:
Msgbox DLookup("[Start_Date]", "Hours Holiday_P1", "[Trainer_Name] = '" & [COLOR=red]Me[/COLOR].Trainer_Name & "' And [Start_Date] < #" & Me.Start_Date & "#")
:banghead:

guinness

Registered User.
Local time
I have absolutely no idea and even less idea why when I use the second code it doesn't just stop at the same error.

If it's working through each line of code sequentially then it shouldn't be able to get past it and highLight Me on the next line
:banghead:

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
There's no value in the Trainer Name field/textbox for the current record.

guinness

Registered User.
Local time
Doh!

That does raise another issue though. Sometimes there will be no value in the trainer box as it's possible to schedule an event before you know who will deliver it. Guess I'm need and If and elseIf statement now as well.

Hmmmm

guinness

Registered User.
Local time
Ok so here's where I'm at...

I re-wrote my code:
Code:
Function LastHol()
Dim startdate As Date
If Forms!Resourcing!Trainer_Name = Null Then
Exit Function
If Not IsNull(Forms!Resourcing!Trainer_Name) Then
MsgBox DLookup("[Start_Date]", "Hours Holiday_P1", "[Trainer_Name] = Forms!Resourcing!Trainer_Name And [Start_Date] < Forms!Resourcing!Start_Date")
End If
End If
End Function

No errors at all but it also doesn't do anything. I tried replacing the msgbox code with the second line that you supplied but it still says it's an invalid use of Me

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Don't worry about the fact that it sometimes won't contain a value. We'll deal with that later. So remove all the code that does the checking for Null, you're trying to do two things at once. Enter the relevant data into the relevant textboxes and get the correct value returned from the DLookup() first.

guinness

Registered User.
Local time
Done and I do get a message box containing the date of the last holiday:D

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Progress, yay! :D

Now although you're getting the correct result you need to ensure that the DLookup() is working on an ordered data set. So is Hours Holiday_P1 sorted in alphabetical order by the date?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Now you can use the DateDiff() function on the value returned.

But before you do that, if I enter today's date, 06/08/2014, and Derek's last holiday is today, should it return today's date or the date before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom