Can a combo box apply a value from one field but display another value? (1 Viewer)

robert693

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:52
I have a form that is based on a query. The query is based on a two tables, Contact and Survey. There is one more table called Institution. Institution has a primary key, who's value is a number and another field called Name. The primary key of Institution is a foriegn key in Survey table and is included in the query in a field called Inst. In the form I want to have a combo box that will display the values from the Name field from the Institution table but will place the value of the primary key in Institution of the same record of the value chosen by the user, into the field in the query called Inst. I hope this can be done and I do apologize for how confusing this sounds! I want to do this because the user will more easily recognize the value from the Name field in Institution rather than the number value of the primary key.

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Today, 02:52
This sounds like a standard combo box. If you use the combo box wizard it should guide you through this pretty painlessly.

The Row Source should be based on your Institutions table, and include both the PK field and the Name field (which I hope is named something more descriptive, as Name is a reserved word). It will prompt if you want to hide the bound column (recommended). Accept this. When it asks what to do with the combo box value, tell it to store in the [Inst] field in your Surveys table.

That should be all there is to it. If I've misunderstood the problem please post back.

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:52
Create the Combo box using the Wizard. It will step you through the process and will do exactly what you want. Just read and follow the screens closely and you should be good to go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom