Can I trick Word 2000? (1 Viewer)

Divit11

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:54
Hello All,

I have a table that has title, first name and last name attributes.
Normally the title is “Mr. and Mrs.” or “Ms.” but sometimes there are no values entered.

When I merge data (using a query) into Word 2000 the results are less than satisfying.

<Title> <First Name> <Last Name>
Example of results:
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Smith
_Jane Doe (_ indicates a blank space)
Ms. Sally Jones

Jane Doe is indented by one space. Since there was no value in the Title field, WORD 2000 still prints the space I set between <Title> <First Name>

I tried to build in a trailing space into a new merge field called <WordTitle>
If I do a query in Access 2000, then the trailing space appears to be included.:cool:

The modified merged data appears as follows:

<WordTitle><First Name> <Last Name>
Example of the results:
Mr. and Mrs.Joe Smith
Jane Doe
Ms.Sally Jones

The trailing space was not part of the merge.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem?:confused:

Divit11

Sandre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:54
Try a non-breaking space? - Ctrl+Shift+Space

Divit11

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Sandre for the thought.
I googled on it to find out what you were suggesting. For any other readers of this thread a non-breaking space is:
"When Word calculates line width and wraps text to the next line, it tries to break the line at either a space or a hyphen. Sometimes, however, you may not want Word to break a line at a certain space. For instance, you may want to make sure that two adjacent words appear on the same line as each other. The answer is to use non-breaking spaces instead of regular spaces when you don't want Word to break a line at a certain space. To do this, hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys as you press the Spacebar. Word will then not break the line at that point."

That did not resolve my problem.:( Any other ideas before I have to visit a library and check out one of those thick SQL Handbooks?

D

Divit11

Registered User.
Local time
Found a work around

Well, I came up with the following solution that seems to be working (two form letter & envelope runs later).
I elected to use the AS feature in SQL to create a new merge field that incorporated Title, FirstName and LastName together rather than the three individual fields.
This solution also included provisions for a special title "The" and the title that is Null.

IIf([tcTitle]="The","The " & [mlLastName] & " Family",IIf(IsNull([tcTitle]),[mlFirstName] & " " & [mlLastName],[tcTitle] & " " & [mlFirstName] & " " & [mlLastName])) AS WordAddressee,

If you have any suggestions that would improve on this code, I would be interested.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom