Can We Add Multiple (Each Separate) Scanned Docs In Sub Form? (1 Viewer)

Ashfaque

Student
Local time
Today, 21:37
Hi,

I want to know if I can attach multiple scan copies of some important documents in sub-form and place a display that to know if it is uploaded.

Basically I have main form for recording a project with multiple fields in it.
It has a sub-form that displays the employee/(s) details.

When create a new project record in main-form, we add one or 2 employees details (as per requirements) in subform because they are assign their duties on that particular project. After a certain period (let us say after 1 year or less) in the same project, there may be need to replace the employee as previous has go on vacation or our Management want to replace the Employee / (s). So new details shall be added are in Sub-form keeping old one INACTIVE (using check mark)... The assignee data Like name, qualificaiton, approvals, Driving License etc. At the same time we need to upload his qualification docs as well.

Need to add builder btn (3 dots) for each attachment

Please give me an idea how can I do that?

Anyhelp, shall be highly appreciated....
Regards,

Last edited:

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 12:07
You should avoid storing the images in the db. It will fill up fast.
Instead store the images on the server, in folders like ID#, or similar.

DO store the path to the document, then the app can open the docs in full resolution and not be hampered by sub form limitations.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:07
Assuming you already have these employees documents on file and they are stored in a sensible fashion, you don't need to upload or store them again. You simply store the EmployeeID against the project with a start date and an end date.

All the other data should be retrievable from the employee main data table, or related employee records.
You would be duplicating data in the child table otherwise and it may not reflect changes in their documentation or records.

Ashfaque

Student
Local time
Assuming you already have these employees documents on file and they are stored in a sensible fashion, you don't need to upload or store them again. You simply store the EmployeeID against the project with a start date and an end date.

All the other data should be retrievable from the employee main data table, or related employee records.
You would be duplicating data in the child table otherwise and it may not reflect changes in their documentation or records.
Yes, you are right.

I will store all the docs in separate folder and will show only path in subform. That could be the way. Another way is I could place only Yes/No field Like if Driving License Yes, Resume Yes, Passport Copy No....etc..

Thanks for the guidelines....

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Don't store any of that duplicate data, just look it up in the existing Employee table, and display it if required.
If you create a table for the all employee documents you could display them in a pop up by double clicking the employee name;

So you would list the doc types by employee, it could be a second linked subform.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:07
Here is some code. It is probably way more complicated than what you need. The app runs audits for different companies so the file names include information on both the company being audited and the employee. The files are downloaded from a service bureau to a single folder. The app examines each file name and decides what company folder to use and what employee record to record the document for. It also includes the ability to acknowledge receipt of a document. Just ignore the parts that aren't relevant to your process.

The code was too big to post here so I attached it.

Attachments

• ImportDocs.txt
    15.4 KB · Views: 202

Ashfaque

Student
Local time
Don't store any of that duplicate data, just look it up in the existing Employee table, and display it if required.
If you create a table for the all employee documents you could display them in a pop up by double clicking the employee name;

So you would list the doc types by employee, it could be a second linked subform.
Does it mean I have to use Hyperlink fieldtype for DocLink?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Does it mean I have to use Hyperlink fieldtype for DocLink?
No, I would strongly advise against it in fact.
You have a stored file path and can use that to open the file on demand. The hyperlink field type adds a layer of complication you just don't need.

It also means that you could just store the bottom level file name and work out the rest, e.g. have a saved looked up value for the top-level path(s) and calculate the subfolders from the EmpID.

That would mean that if you ever need to move the file locations you are only updating one top-level lookup field, not thousands of hardcoded storage locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom