Cannot access my mysql odbc tables (1 Viewer)

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:00
I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this, but I desperately need help. I opened (on my laptop) a well established Access 365 db in the am. Later in the day I tried to open it again and received "odbc failed to connect" and the laptop had not been used in the interim. Tried another db that uses a different odbc location and it won't connect either. The same db still works on my desktop, and it uses the same odbc driver as the laptop (odbc connector 5.1.13). As you can see it was written long ago and has been distributed to users, so upgrading to later version of connector would have been difficult. I have tried everything I can think of--thorough virus check, etc. I have tried to reinstall that connector from the original msi and get the error:

Error 1918:Error installing ODBC driver MySQL 5.1 Driver, ODBC error 13. The setup routines for that driver could not be loaded due to system error code 126: The specified module could not be found. (C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.1\myodbc5S.dll). Verify that the file MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.1 Driver exists and that you can access it.

It will let me install the odbc connector 5.1.5 but the db still won't load. After googling the problem I have installed a couple of C++ redistributable files but that has helped nothing. I have no other ideas and seem to be again asking for help. Thank you.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
I have now done a clean install of windows 10, reinstalled Office 365 and tried to install the odbc connector. I downloaded the installation msi again in case my copy was corrupt. I have asked for help from MS and they will be happy to help for $499 single incident because the driver in question didn't come from them. I have posted in several forums without response. Would love to know if anyone has any idea where else to look for help.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Apologies Ellen, but I have NO expertise in this area. I'm responding to wish you luck and hopefully bump this up so others might see it!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:00
and tried to install the odbc connector.

Same as John, I've no experience with this, only general observations about what other people do/say on the forum. Which makes me wonder, are you signed in as administrator?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:00
I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this, but I desperately need help. I opened (on my laptop) a well established Access 365 db in the am. Later in the day I tried to open it again and received "odbc failed to connect" and the laptop had not been used in the interim.
This sounds like a simple network connectivity issue.
I would try to connect to the MySql server using another client, like mysql.exe command line client, just to rule out any general connectivity issue.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:00
this link might help
sounds like MySQL 5.1 Driver is quite old.

Also the error message seems quite clear to me

'The specified module could not be found. (C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\Connector ODBC 5.1\myodbc5S.dll '

is the dll file in that directory?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:00
... and tried to install the odbc connector.
Can you be please more specific about...
- what you did exactly,
- what happened, including full error messages and if you verified the statement (e.g. module could not be found. )

Also, regarding your reinstall of Office 365, please be be aware the default installation is 64Bit now. Did you install 32bit or 64bit? This is of particular interest regarding ODBC drivers.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Thank all for your posts. I have solved the problem. First, I ended up wiping the computer and reinstalling Windows home. Reinstalled Office 365. The db still wouldn't work (yes, with a struggle finally found link to install 32 bit version). Did a deeper dive researching the problem. Finally installed c++ redistributable 2010 and c++ redistributable 2015-2019 (although had tried installing the 2010 version before the wipe). Voila! Finally worked. Many questions remain: why did it suddenly stop working in the middle of the day after many years of use? Why haven't others using various computers encountered this? I know the driver is very old--I would love to upgrade to later version, but that means altering vba connecting code and helping the non computer literate old ladies to reinstall the driver and new version of the program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom