Solved Cannot find referenced form... error? (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 17:42
Congratulations.
That's one of the many reasons I don't use embedded macros. Its so easy to overlook what they contain

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:42
Ha ha - man, that's great! Embedded macros in the Property pane. I promise I won't "get started" on my thoughts on that.
Sometimes it makes it really hard to find stuff in those more obscure design layers, that's for sure! Great ideas everyone, this thread has a lot of useful information in it actually.
I will remember Vtools and Philip's product for a future need - and the Documenter, which I used a handful of times and then forgot it. I think I used it once in response to a particularly annoying Project Mgr who wanted full documentation--Yesterday. Sent him that and didn't hear back for a while! LOL.
(C'mon Microsoft...Give us a Master Ctrl+F function!)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You could run the built-in Access documenter, turn on every possible option, and then search the output.
Useful though it is, searching the Database Documenter is hard work ...especially when you have a large database and need to turn on all options

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
That's one of the many reasons I don't use embedded macros. Its so easy to overlook what they contain
That and using =Something directly in the Properties pane in general in cases where an actual Event stub will work

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yup. I don't do that either... for much the same reason

I have my own SQL deep search utility which I created a few years ago but its built in to one of my commercial apps:

SQLSearchFormResults.gif

SQLSearchReport.gif

This kind of question comes up so often that perhaps I should make my own version available as an add-in

HalloweenWeed

Local time
Today, 13:42
Yeah well it wasn't without it's (usual MS) hiccups either:
201001a db debug ver Error Cnnt find Relationships Object documenter.png

201001a db debug ver Error Unabl to doc Qry Object documenter.png

Then when I tried to export to Excel:

201001a db debug ver Error Overflow Object documenter.png

I've quit using macros months ago. FYI.
Also: my institution won't pony-up for the 64-bit office, nor more than 4GB RAM, I wonder if the above overflow would've happened with 64b & 32GB RAM.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Success!
Code:
db debug ver.accdb

Form: RspndrSuffixSlctSubform Page: 942

Properties

Objects

Command Button: Choose_But

OldBorderStyle: 1 OnClick: [Event Procedure]

OnGotFocus: [Embedded Macro] OnGotFocusEmMac Version =196611

ro: ColumnsShown =0

Begin

Condition ="(Not [Forms]![Security_Current_User_Name]![RW])"
Action ="Close"
Argument ="-1"
Argument =""
Argument ="2"
End

Begin
Condition ="..."
Action ="MsgBox"
Argument ="\"You do not have permission to open this form!\""
Argument ="-1"
Argument ="4"
End

Begin
Condition ="..."
Action ="StopMacro"
End

Begin
Comment ="_AXL:<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-16\" standalone=\"no\"?>\015\012<UserInterfaceMacro
For=\"Choose_But\"
Event=\"OnGotFocus\"
xmlns=\"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/accessservices/2009/11/application\"><Statements><Co

The button had an embedded macro in "OnGotFocus"! (Duh). I didn't even notice that.
Enigma solved! Thank you all for helping.
Thank you very much for your ideas, and I have learned a lot.
Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I have my own SQL deep search utility which I created a few years ago but its built in to one of my commercial apps:
Very cool - I like the highlighting. Recently my work has begun wanting excel apps that highlight or color only portions of cell text, so I am all about colorizations and visualizations in general these days.
That's one of the drawbacks of me being mostly just in the corporate world and only a few side projects here and there. Every time I change companies I tend to leave anything useful that I made, behind, committed only to memory.

@HalloweenWeed I assume it's the .xls at 65k rows or something. A++ on the macros...I think they're a good thing to leave behind. For a while I thought Access Web would be big and I would have to go to macros rather than VBA, but that seems to have fizzled out.

HalloweenWeed

Local time
Today, 13:42
@HalloweenWeed I assume it's the .xls at 65k rows or something. A++ on the macros...I think they're a good thing to leave behind. For a while I thought Access Web would be big and I would have to go to macros rather than VBA, but that seems to have fizzled out.
It's weird, Sharepoint seems to be the new big thing here to bring user input to a central server database from the masses, but when I did a little bit of Googling on the subject and watching Sharepoint training videos it appears to me (I may be wrong) that a traditional database is still used, and Sharepoint is just the conduit. I still prefer Excel charts to anything I have seen from Sharepoint, and as a matter of fact I have created Excel workbooks that automatically get their chart data from Sharepoint. There is no argument against Sharepoint being a great improvement (over Access alone) though.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yeah ... If you have NO other back end capabilities than Access, then it's better-than-not to have SP added to the toolbox.

Although I work for a big global company, my specific dept has been fighting to get SQL Server access and we haven't (yet). I miss it, and am not used to not having it. In its absence, people have gotten used to using SP for absolutely "everything", short of major enterprise apps. I've been on a campaign to educate and persuade that in some cases we might be over-using SP if an Access app could be much more infinitely and quickly customized. Add to all this that we aren't given SP Designer! We're still on SP 2010 and using, embarrassingly enough, Infopath.

Then again, faced with the limitations, I've been fighting to learn every possible way that our globally deployed Excel workbooks might interact with Sharepoint. It's crazy...every environment has its own unique mixture of what is allowed and what perceptions there are about stuff.

I think you're right, SQL Server is SP backbone. But how 'open' things are is all up to your Sharepoint Admins (I call them SP Gods). Mine don't even have Workflows turned on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom