Cannot save on CD-R CDs (1 Viewer)

Kila

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:55
I am running Windows XP Media Edition that came with Sonic DLA for formatting CDs. It works just fine for CD-RW CDs, but it will not recognize blank CD-Rs. Nor will it allow me to format them or save to them. In addition, CD-RWs that have been burned using this drive are not "open" on other PCs. I have had Dell replace the drive thinking it was broken, but now I think it was the program. I really like the basic Roxio program for formatting CDs that comes free with some PCs. It is on my computer at work. How can I either...1. Get a copy of the free Roxio software or 2. copy files to a CD-R on the program I've got? Thanks for your help!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:55
CD-R's don't get formatted, so-to-speak, they get their formatting when the files are written to disc.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Sonic DLA is drive letter access and a CD-R is a one-time write only (but can be multiple sessions) and therefore not useable as a drive letter. To record to a CD-R you would need to use Sonic RecordNow.

Kila

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your response. I understand what you mean now, but what good is that?! I wanted to quickly save a Powerpoint presentation to a CD using Pack and play, which seems to require a drive letter. Sometimes you don't have time to wait 45 minutes for the thing to format. I have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 at work which seems to treat CD-RW AND CD-R CDs as a drive letter if you want. Why would anyone design a program differently? It wouldn't be so bad if the format time was shorter.

agehoops

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:55
Your best bet for fast access is to get a pen drive or usb memory stick. They're so cheap now and can come in large sizes. They'll just act almost like an external hard drive, so your program should write to them as you'll see it as a new drive letter. Then you simply take it wherever you want to go, plug it in, and it'll work there so long as they're not using windows 98 as they'll need drivers for that.

Kila

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you...I have used the memory stick. I actually keep one in my purse. However, if I want to SHARE files, I need something I can give away. I want to make several copies of this PowerPoint presentation for my daughter's class using Pack and Play. Having to spend 45 minutes formatting each CD is a pain! Please let me know if you have another suggestion. Thank you.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
If you burn it directly to a CD-R instead of CD-RW, using Roxio's BurnNow (which I'm assuming you have available on a Dell and you referenced the DLA and I have a Dell with the same) then it should only take a few minutes to burn it direct. Even if you use Windows XP's built in burner it should only take a few minutes to burn the presentation.

What you can do is to send the Pack and Play to a folder on your computer, instead of a CD and then burn the resulting files to the CD. Which version of PowerPoint are you using? I only have 2000 here at work (I have 2000, 2002, 2003, and 2007 at home) so I can't tell you exactly how to do it, but I've done it before myself at my other job.

agehoops

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:55
well depending on the size of the files you can get yourself some free webspace, upload the files, and anyone can access them wherever they are in the world. Saves the hassle of burning loads of discs. If this isn't possible then the easiest option is the CD but not an RW, as you say if you get a CD-RW it will require formatting, where as a CD-R will not. It can only be burned once, and never again.

Kila

Registered User.
Local time
I am not sure what I have at home...2003, I think. Interestingly, at home it is marked as "Pack and Play", but in my office (2003) it is marked "Package for CD". I think they both do the same thing, but I did not know that you could package & send it to a folder on the hard drive. I am not in front of my home PC right now. I would have to look at it. I am not familiar with BurnNow, but I DID see RecordNow on there last nite. I have never used this & just assumed that it was for music...burning CDs with tracks that would play in Audio CD players. I'll have to take another look at it. I got a bit spoiled with Roxio's program that treats both types of CDs the same for data. It never occurred to me that doing it your way might be the ONLY way for a CD-R, I just thought it might be broken. I will give this a try. Thank you.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I think I meant "RecordNow" and not "BurnNow" :D

I need a vacation :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom