Can't fill out a form (1 Viewer)

getssmart

Local time
Today, 10:54
Hi
Newbie to your forum and a bit of a novice in access too.

I am building a db and a form that was previously able to be filled. When I altered the form and added some fields from a different table now just dings when I try to type in any of the old fields, but I can enter new data into the new field from the second table any ideas whats gone wrong.

I have searched through the properties and compared the new to old fields and can't really find any discrepency between the two.

Would it help if I posted the mdf file? (its only tiny)
Cheers
Mike

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:54
if you have added fields from another table, you may have changed the record source for the form to the other table - in which case the old forms will ding, as they cannot be referenced. You need to join both tables in a query, and use the qry as the record source. Is that possible?

Data truly coming from another table can only ever be lookup, without writing code behind events.

getssmart

Local time
Hi
Yes the record source is a qry, but not sure how to make the join, as you term it. I cheated by quickly making a new form from the wizard using fields form both tables then copied the record source from the new form into my existing form this seemed to work except for the problem posted.

Incidentally though I tested the new form and that behaved the same ie I could write new records to the 'second' table but not the 'first'.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 01:54
A query that you set as the recordsource to a form, MUST be updateable if it is going to accept data or change data. If you open your query and look at the status bar, it should tell you "this recordset is not updateable" if it isn't updateable. What that means is that the tables are either not joined properly, or that they do not have a relationship that will allow updating. For example, if you have a table joined to a table which requires data to be input in BEFORE adding a record to the other table, it will not be updateable.

getssmart

Local time
Oh how much I have to learn!

Thanks for your help, I did not really understand your answer but it made me look in the right place and when I changed some options in the join type, it fixed it.

So together we have muddled through this problem, well see whats round the corner.

Thanks again.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom