Can't import CSV to linked table in Access2K (1 Viewer)

Jim Specht

Local time
Today, 15:03
I have a DB which I recently converted to Access 2k from 97. Everything works except for one thing. When I attempt to import a *.CSV file, *.txt, etc. .....on the 3rd screen of the import wizard in the "in an existing table" combo box, it only shows me unlinked tables.....no linked tables appear as a choice to import into.

In access 97 this was not the case....it presented you w/ all of the tables....linked or not.

I appriciate any help anyone can provide.

thx,
js

Jim Specht

Local time
Thx for the advise cpod.....I loaded the Jet 4.0 Service Pack 6, as I have a Windows 2K machine, and found that the problem still exists.

If you have a moment, link a table up from another access db and then run through the import wizard as if you were going to import a *.txt or *.csv file to the linked table. In the third screen of the import wizard, does it display the linked table as a choice for import into? If it works for you then I'm still missing something.....but I'm betting Access 2K missed this one.

cpod

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:03
You're right. The linked tables are not in the list to append to.

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
suspect the problem is in the import wizard, not jet.

another new 'feature' perhaps? :(

i recently did a project (created in a97) that imports .csv's using TransferText with an a97 import spec. and it works fine under a2k.

hth,
al

Jim Specht

Local time
So I suppose that the quickest way around this situation would be to just continue using the existing import spec but use the Transfertext function instead of the built in wizard.

I'm sure this will resolve the issue.....I'll just need to incorporate the common dialog control to allow the user to pick the *.csv file. Thanks all, for making short work of this one for me....I just wanted to confirm that the problem wasn't in my local a2k application before I went through the work of another solution.

js

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
jim,

just remembered an additional bit of info...

the application i mentioned had no problems with a TransferText import.

but, i also had a .csv export (using an a97 export spec) that absolutely refused to work...no error messages, nothing! it just didn't create the .csv.

a missing ref. was the culprit. so you might want to be on the lookout for that as well. :)

hth,
al

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:03
I just tried this with A2002 and had no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom