Cascading Combo Box Without Value Being In Table Behind Form (1 Viewer)

GSevensM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:51
Hi All,

I'm trying to put together a form to an AzureSQL database (not mine) and am struggling on some location combos.

The table design is that only one parent appears on the relevant table. For example, the Country table has idContinent on it. The City table has idCountry but does not have idContinent.

I'm creating a City form where Cities can be added, and I am struggling to create the cascade because idContinent doesn't appear on the City table. Does anyone know how to create a cascading combo in this circumstance?

Cheers!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. How about using both tables in your SQL, so you can JOIN the needed fields? Just a thought...

GSevensM

Registered User.
Local time
Hi all,

Apologies for bumping this thread but due to COVID the requirement was put on hold. But now it is back again and I still haven't figured out how to do this!

I can give some more detailed background on what I am trying to do and why I have to do it.

The backend database resides in AzureSQL and has been set up in a manner that works with an in house C# application. However the developer of that application is no longer working at the organisation. The SQL database has been developed further and as a temporary solution the front end functionality will be run through Access for the new features.

The way they have designed the database is that only the lowest child object is a foreign key field on a main table. For example, there are the following linked tables. Continent, Country, City, Site. The Employee table only has idSite. But I need to create a form where Continent, Country and City can all be chosen to dictate what appears in the Site dropdown list so that data integrity can be followed.

If anyone can help with this I'd be eternally grateful because I am stuck, stuck and stuck!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi all,

Apologies for bumping this thread but due to COVID the requirement was put on hold. But now it is back again and I still haven't figured out how to do this!

I can give some more detailed background on what I am trying to do and why I have to do it.

The backend database resides in AzureSQL and has been set up in a manner that works with an in house C# application. However the developer of that application is no longer working at the organisation. The SQL database has been developed further and as a temporary solution the front end functionality will be run through Access for the new features.

The way they have designed the database is that only the lowest child object is a foreign key field on a main table. For example, there are the following linked tables. Continent, Country, City, Site. The Employee table only has idSite. But I need to create a form where Continent, Country and City can all be chosen to dictate what appears in the Site dropdown list so that data integrity can be followed.

If anyone can help with this I'd be eternally grateful because I am stuck, stuck and stuck!
Hi. I think my suggestion still applies. Your dropdown will be based on joining the other tables.

GSevensM

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. I think my suggestion still applies. Your dropdown will be based on joining the other tables.

Hi, apologies for acknowledging before. I tried that and couldn't get it to work. However, that may be because I was doing it wrong. My Access skills are the more basic side of intermediate!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi, apologies for acknowledging before. I tried that and couldn't get it to work. However, that may be because I was doing it wrong. My Access skills are the more basic side of intermediate!
If you can post some demo db or sample data, maybe we can help show you how to do it (if it's possible).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom