Categories & Subcategories (1 Viewer)

yahazim

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:03
I am creating a database to hold test cases for software my company is developing, and I need to categorize each test case.

Each category has a possible subcategory, and then another subcategory based on the previous one, creating a table stucture that looks like this:

TESTCASE (M:1) CATEGORY (1:M) SUBCAT_1 (1:M) SUBCAT_2

I have a form that shows each test case with three combo boxes to select the CATEGORY, SUBCAT_1, and SUBCAT_2. These combo boxes are cboCATEGORY, cboSUBCAT_1, and SUBCAT_2 respectively. Here are my issues:

1) Is this the correct table structure? Or should I set this up so that it looks like this:

TESTCASE (M:1) CATEGORY
TESTCASE (M:1) SUBCAT_1
TESTCASE (M:1) SUBCAT_2

The only issue I have with this table structure is that it SEEMS that the relationships are not related correctly and how would I filter cboSUBCAT_1 for the correct information based on what is selected in cboCATEGORY?

2) The first combo box for CATEGORY, cboCATEGORY shows the information in the drop down and updates correctly. I've coded cboSUBCAT_1 to requery based on the results in cboCATEGORY, however NO INFORMATION SHOWS UP?!!?

Basically, I need guidance on the correct datamodel for these categories and how to code the the combo boxes to refresh correctly.

Thank you in advance!!!

Jim Yahazim
EDS, Inc.

yahazim

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, this does help. If anyone has more to share please do.

Jim Yahazim
EDS, Inc.

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Today, 16:03
Search for 'cascad combo box' in all Forums. This issue has come up innumerable times (is that a word? it is now).

HTH,
David R

yahazim

Registered User.
Local time
OK. I looked throughout the board, and I tried the Microsoft Knowledgebase, and learned how to do the VB to update the combo boxes.

NOW. My last question. What does the datamodel look like?

1) One table with three tables joined (M:1)

OR

2) A series of cascading tables

???

Thanks in advance...

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom