CDN Outage (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:09
Some of you may have had difficulty in replying to messages today (including me!). Also, the logo and various user avatars were missing. I managed to trace it back to my CDN - the money had run out! So, I refunded the account and all is back to normal.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 11:09
I had a brief spell of wonky behavior, but I attributed it to the internet gremlins going through a shift change and not paying attention.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Yes, working again now.
Thank you Jon.

BTW what is a CDN?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Content Delivery Network. Instead of having all the files on my host, I paid for an extra service which puts things like graphics files, JavaScript and so on with the CDN service. They have servers all over the world, like over a 100 of them. They have copies of these files duplicated on all their servers. That means that if you were in say Australia, the sending of this data to your browser is a shorter distance, and so speeds up the user experience. You can consider it similar to reducing the ping time.

All the data remains on the host.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 14:09
Thanks Jon, I couldn't even post a question about it so I used FB messenger to a couple of Mods to see if it was just me.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Thanks Jon, I couldn't even post a question about it so I used FB messenger to a couple of Mods to see if it was just me.
You're welcome. I had a panic on earlier because I thought the site had been hacked. With the logo gone, avatars and Reply issues, I was on to my host for assistance. Then I had a brainwave - it could be the CDN!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
What puzzled me was that moke123 managed to post on this thread

and Ebs17 on this one, when I could not?
all when I was unable to do so?

I was thinking it might be affecting just UK users as CJ_London had the same issue.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The files could still have been in the cache on the CDN's servers before being flushed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom