CDO trouble (1 Viewer)

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:38
CDO routine no longer works if the user's email is a gmail account. "To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password." One of my users with a suddenlink.net is also not able to send successfully, although I am able to send using a personal website email. Any solution to sending from this app needs to be able to attach external attachments. Is there a solution available?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:38
My first thought is that this sounds similar to what Outlook did some years ago with the advent of oAuth identification methods. Running through the protocols in my head, it sounds like Google stopped accepting "plain" SMTP, which doesn't sound right. I think a call to Google's customer service would be in order, because even Outlook allowed a way to get there from older (non-oAuth) versions - by implementing an alternate, very long password - 16-characters worth of password, all lower-case alphabetic.

My next thought is two-fold - first, that to be compliant with "standard" Internet protocols, they need to support some alternative, and second, they should already be getting some pushback from disenfranchised customers.

That thought doesn't help you, but offhand I doubt that CDO can be made to operate as oAuth-compliant. The last major update of CDO was the 2000 version and at the time, it was announced as the last version that would ever be made. I would be happy to learn that some updates to CDO have been made, but forgive me if I don't hold my breath in anticipation.

Here is an article that emphasizes an important factor: The affected accounts are based on the FREE GMail accounts as opposed to paid GMail accounts. So - <sarcasm> purely in the name of increased security </sarcasm> - perhaps Google is forcing folks to upgrade to a paying service.

I know it is a pain in the toches, but perhaps the solution would be to find another free e-mail to use as a medium for sending and just include an explicit reply-to for the CDO message build. Since I have no idea about the magnitude of your exposure here, I have no idea about the amount of work that comment represents. But given that the problem targets free accounts, I'm supposing that the customers in question are too frugal to upgrade? Just thinking out loud here.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:38
Hi. If the client must use GMail, then another option is to use Google's API.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:38
My first thought is that this sounds similar to what Outlook did some years ago with the advent of oAuth identification methods. Running through the protocols in my head, it sounds like Google stopped accepting "plain" SMTP, which doesn't sound right. I think a call to Google's customer service would be in order, because even Outlook allowed a way to get there from older (non-oAuth) versions - by implementing an alternate, very long password - 16-characters worth of password, all lower-case alphabetic.

My next thought is two-fold - first, that to be compliant with "standard" Internet protocols, they need to support some alternative, and second, they should already be getting some pushback from disenfranchised customers.

That thought doesn't help you, but offhand I doubt that CDO can be made to operate as oAuth-compliant. The last major update of CDO was the 2000 version and at the time, it was announced as the last version that would ever be made. I would be happy to learn that some updates to CDO have been made, but forgive me if I don't hold my breath in anticipation.

Here is an article that emphasizes an important factor: The affected accounts are based on the FREE GMail accounts as opposed to paid GMail accounts. So - <sarcasm> purely in the name of increased security </sarcasm> - perhaps Google is forcing folks to upgrade to a paying service.

I know it is a pain in the toches, but perhaps the solution would be to find another free e-mail to use as a medium for sending and just include an explicit reply-to for the CDO message build. Since I have no idea about the magnitude of your exposure here, I have no idea about the amount of work that comment represents. But given that the problem targets free accounts, I'm supposing that the customers in question are too frugal to upgrade? Just thinking out loud here.
Thank you The_Doc_Man! Such an easy solution--the organization already has a web presence and I can simply establish an email address for users to use--hadn't thought about the obvious solution to include a "please reply to" address within the body of the email. It is frustrating to have to fix working code every year or so, but so be it. This will get us over the time crunch.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 20:38
GMail does still work with CDO providing you use the SetAppPassword approach. It is very easy to implement at no cost.
See my article and example app for more details. It includes a Help file with the info you need to set this up

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom