Challenging Sort Order (1 Viewer)

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:19
I have been grappling with this for some time to no avail.

I have developed a database to keep track of assets. Each asset has a categoryID, and this controls what labels appear next to the field names (Building category might have Address, Date Constructed, Height etc, Computer category might have Brand, RAM, Screen Type etc) I have a report to summarize the asset list, ordered by asset number.

Problem:
Pic1 is what I currently have, but the headings at the top are for the first asset. If the second asset has a different category it gets confusing.

When sorting by asset No unless I include the field names beside every record, I cant seem to sort by asset no. (Pic2) To me, this looks messy.

Pic3 is grouped by category, but this messes up the asset order and groups all the assets for a category together (as you would expect)

What i really want is for the Assets to still be in order, then if a category changes, start a new heading.

So the report would come out

Heading... Computers
Asset 1
Asset 2
Asset 3

Heading... Buildings
Asset 4
Asset 5

Heading... Mechanical Equipment
Asset 6
Asset 7
Asset 8

Heading... Computers
Asset 9
Asset 10

etc

As you can see the categories are repeated, thus the grouping falls down.
I have experimented with a subfrom, but without success.

Any help appreciated.

Dave

Attachments

• pics.zip
    205.6 KB · Views: 179

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:19
At a quick glance it sounds like what you want to do would be easy in a report. You could just right click on the detail section and select Sorting and Grouping, you could then group by your Heading field and sort by the Asset ID, unless I totally missed the boat on your question...that happens sometimes :p

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:19
Have you tried setting the Hide Duplicates property of that textbox to Yes? I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for though.

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
At a quick glance it sounds like what you want to do would be easy in a report. You could just right click on the detail section and select Sorting and Grouping, you could then group by your Heading field and sort by the Asset ID, unless I totally missed the boat on your question...that happens sometimes :p

Close, but as mentioned, I dont want to "Group" by the Category field, but add a heading each time category changes - As in the example at the end of my first post. If you look closely, there are 2 "Computer" headings. If I sort as you mentioned it prints as Pic3. Will keep trying.

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Have you tried setting the Hide Duplicates property of that textbox to Yes? I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for though.

Have never noticed or used this property. Will give it a go. Thanks

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Just had a play, I think I will be able to get the "Hide Duplicates" property to work. :D :D

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:19
No problem my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom