Change folder (directory) for .mdb linked table manager. (1 Viewer)

rickadams

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:32
I would like to help my associate with a task, and learn at the same time. I am asking for help to do this...

The system is a Linear Access AE1000+ door controller and it uses a program called Accessbase2000.exe V2.9. Available from nortekcontrol.com\support\software-downloads

The building users and volunteers change frequently so the database needs to be updated regularly. The software provider wants customers to add names and other data manually with Accessbase2000.exe Since their information is already saved in Excel It makes sense It can be imported quickly.

I have a few excel scripts that I use to import the user data manually into the Users.mdb, however I would like help to automate this for my coworkers.

The database's are kept in the following example directories (Folders)
C:\AccessBase2000\Installations\Acme Manufacturing(DEMO)\DATABASE\
C:\AccessBase2000\Installations\96 FIRST\DATABASE\
C:\AccessBase2000\Installations\2 MAIN\DATABASE\
Etc.

How can I have the user open one of the above database sets via a menu select option from MS Access 2010 and then update the linked table manager so they are connected to the correct one?
The linked table manager has symbolic links to the following .mdb, they are always the same.
Users.mdb
Cards.mdb
EntryNumbers.mdb
EntryCodes.mdb
EventLog.mdb

After the correct database group is open can Access 2010 get the last autonumber UserID and store it so the import from excel starts after the last issued number.

I also open the databases to print custom reports because we have some volunteers to keep track of entrance dates and times.

I hope I am making sense and someone can help me with an answer to my question.

Thank you all in advance!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
A primary piece of info is missing - each user has their own copy of the Access database that you're using as the front end (fe) (i.e. the db is split into front and back ends and each uses their own fe copy)? That's critical here. If you're sharing 1 db that's not split, or even a db that is split but the fe is shared, then anyone who remaps the tables will break the connection that someone else may be working under. Likely that if you can imagine it, it can be done in Access but that doesn't always mean it's a good idea. The answer is yes, you can remap tables based on user choice but I wouldn't make it happen from a combo selection without presenting a warning dialog. Maybe more info around the relationship to the various db's that hold the tables and why remapping is so frequent that you want to automate it. I'm not sure that's a good idea as it may be one of those things that promotes corruption, like constantly deleting and recreating tables.

Also, I have no idea what these things mean: symbolic links, the last autonumber UserID

rickadams

Registered User.
Local time
Micron, Thank you for responding.
Only 1 computer and 1 user has (or will ever have) the accessbase2000.exe program and database installed and do what I am manually doing now. The front end is not shared.
I am using symbolic links for what I am accomplishing with the databases for mail merge.
I need to loosen the reigns and allow someone else to help me.

The main thing I am asking for help with is a way to change via a menu where the linked table manager looks, and then change those links, it always will do a symbolic link for the same .mdb however in different directories and always on the same computer.
I hope that answers your questions.

Thank you again,

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:32
Pat Hartman has recently pasted a utility to do just this.

Have a search of the site using her ID

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom