Solved Change quote into an order (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:57
And Here:-

See:- Delimiters in Text Literals

Example:-
Code:
customerName = Replace(customerName, "'", "''")

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
So it would possibly be:-

Code:
 ' lngQuoteID is previously set in code
                    Dim rsQuoteDetailsList As DAO.Recordset

Dim strSQL_QuoteDetailsRSL As String
                    strSQL_QuoteDetailsRSL = "SELECT QuoteDetailID, ItemNo, EstID, ModelNo, Description, Qty, Price, QuoteID, AccessPrice FROM tblQuoteDetails WHERE QuoteID = " & lngQuoteID

'Details Variables

Dim lngQuoteDetailID As Long
                    Dim strItemNo As String
                    Dim lngEstID As Long
                    Dim strModelNo As String
                    Dim strDescription As String
                    Dim lngQty As Long
                    Dim curPrice As Currency
                    'Dim lngQuoteID As Long
                    Dim curAccessPrice As Currency

Set rsQuoteDetailsList = curDB.OpenRecordset(strSQL_QuoteDetailsRSL, 8)

Do Until rsQuoteDetailsList.EOF

lngQuoteDetailID = rsQuoteDetailsList!QuoteDetailID
                            strItemNo = rsQuoteDetailsList!ItemNo
                            lngEstID = rsQuoteDetailsList!EstID
                            strModelNo = rsQuoteDetailsList!ModelNo
                            strDescription = rsQuoteDetailsList!Description
                            lngQty = rsQuoteDetailsList!Qty
                            curPrice = rsQuoteDetailsList!Price
                            lngQuoteID = rsQuoteDetailsList!QuoteID
                            curAccessPrice = rsQuoteDetailsList!AccessPrice
                                'From:-
                                'https://codekabinett.com/rdumps.php?Lang=2&targetDoc=vba-sql-string-tutorial

'customerName = Replace(customerName, "'", "''")

strItemNo = Chr(34) & strItemNo & Chr(34)
                            strModelNo = Chr(34) & strModelNo & Chr(34)

strDescription = Replace(strDescription, Chr(34), Chr(34) & Chr(34))
                            strDescription = Chr(34) & strDescription & Chr(34)

Dim strSQLQuoteDetailsInsert As String

strSQLQuoteDetailsInsert = "INSERT INTO tblOrderDetails(ItemNo, EstID, ModelNo, Description, Qty, Price, OrderID, AccessPrice) VALUES (" & strItemNo & ", " & lngEstID & ", " & strModelNo & ", " & strDescription & ", " & lngQty & ", " & curPrice & ", " & lngQuoteID & ", " & curAccessPrice & ")"
                            curDB.Execute strSQLQuoteDetailsInsert

You might be tempted to condense the two new lines in to one formula, but with it on two lines, it's obvious what you are doing. (Self documenting) If you did want to condense it into a single formula, you could create a separate function, your function name would provide the "Self Documentation"

Last edited:

slharman1

Local time
Today, 17:57

Code:

strSQL_QuoteDetailsRSL = "SELECT QuoteDetailID, ItemNo, EstID, ModelNo, Description, Qty, Price, QuoteID, AccessPrice FROM tblQuoteDetails WHERE QuoteID = " & lngQuoteID

'Details Variables

Dim strItemNo As String
                    Dim lngEstID As Long
                    Dim strModelNo As String
                    Dim lngQty As Long
                    Dim curPrice As Currency
                    'Dim lngQuoteID As Long

strSQLQuoteDetailsInsert = "INSERT INTO tblOrderDetails(ItemNo, EstID, ModelNo, Description, Qty, Price, OrderID, AccessPrice) VALUES (" & strItemNo & ", " & lngEstID & ", " & strModelNo & ", " & strDescription & ", " & lngQty & ", " & curPrice & ", " & lngQuoteID & ", " & curAccessPrice & ")"

You might be tempted to condense the two new lines in to one formula, but with it on two lines, it's obvious what you are doing. (Self documenting) If you did want to condense it into a single formula, you could create a separate function, your function name would provide the "Self Documentation"
Nifty, Thanks!
So are you saying to only add this line of code where you show it?
Code:
I am confused , doesn't this replac e

Code:

'Details Variables

Dim strItemNo As String
                    Dim lngEstID As Long
                    Dim strModelNo As String
                    Dim lngQty As Long
                    Dim curPrice As Currency
                    'Dim lngQuoteID As Long

ah, uncle Giz, took me sleeping on it to realize we are just replacing with double quotes. I knew I needed to step away for a bit. 😊

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
ah, uncle Giz, toll me sleeping on it to realize we are just replacing with double quotes.

The way I have answered the question is somewhat confusing. To Clarify:-

There are several ways of doing it, Philipp Stiefel shows one way:- customerName = Replace(customerName, "'", "''") this is for replacing single quotes. It appears that Philipp uses single quotes as his string delimiters, which is fine. You can use either single or double quotes, as long as you are consistent. You might ask why would you use one or the other?

If you used double quotes as string delimiters, and were entering people's names, names like this --- Mr O' Brien --- these names would be entered correctly, without any modification to the code.

If you knew that you were going to be entering a lot of data in inches like --- 20" --- then you could construct your SQL Statements using single quotes and when the text entered contains double quotes, it would be entered correctly without any modification to the code.

I suspect the major difference in the choice of using single or double depends on if you are writing SQL Statements for MS Access or MSSQL Server. I think (I don't know) the convention for SQL Server is to use single quotes and the convention for Microsoft Access is to use double quotes. I suspect you can use either single or double in either environment, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Maybe someone that is more familiar with MSSQL Server would chip in?

These are all valid replace statements.

Replace Single Quotes
1) customerName = Replace(customerName, "'", "''")
2) customerName = Replace(customerName, Chr(39), Chr(39) & Chr(39))
Chr(39) is the ASCII code for a Single Quote and because you are entering the ASCII code you do not need to delimit it with the speech marks (double quotes)

Replace Double Quotes
1) customerName = Replace(customerName, """, """")
2) customerName = Replace(customerName, Chr(34), Chr(34) & Chr(34))
Chr(34) is the ASCII code for a Double Quote and because you are entering the ASCII code you do not need to delimit it with the speech marks (double quotes)

Why do we have this problem with the quotes in SQL statements?

If the double quote is used as the SQL Statement delimiter as in the following sample SQL Statement:-

SQL:
strSQLQuoteDetailsInsert = "INSERT INTO tblOrderDetails(ItemNo, EstID, ModelNo, Description) VALUES (" & strItemNo & ", " & lngEstID & ", " & strModelNo & ", " & strDescription & ")"

If the variable passed in "strDescription" contains a Double Quote then your SQL Statement would see that Double Quote as a text delimiter for the SQL Statement and not part of the passed through text.

slharman1

Local time

Code:

'Details Variables

Dim strItemNo As String
                    Dim lngEstID As Long
                    Dim strModelNo As String
                    Dim lngQty As Long
                    Dim curPrice As Currency
                    'Dim lngQuoteID As Long

The way I have answered the question is somewhat confusing. To Clarify:-

There are several ways of doing it, Philipp Stiefel shows one way:- customerName = Replace(customerName, "'", "''") this is for replacing single quotes. It appears that Philipp uses single quotes as his string delimiters, which is fine. You can use either single or double quotes, as long as you are consistent. You might ask why would you use one or the other?

If you used double quotes as string delimiters, and were entering people's names, names like this --- Mr O' Brien --- these names would be entered correctly, without any modification to the code.

If you knew that you were going to be entering a lot of data in inches like --- 20" --- then you could construct your SQL Statements using single quotes and when the text entered contains double quotes, it would be entered correctly without any modification to the code.

I suspect the major difference in the choice of using single or double depends on if you are writing SQL Statements for MS Access or MSSQL Server. I think (I don't know) the convention for SQL Server is to use single quotes and the convention for Microsoft Access is to use double quotes. I suspect you can use either single or double in either environment, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Maybe someone that is more familiar with MSSQL Server would chip in?

These are all valid replace statements.

Replace Single Quotes
1) customerName = Replace(customerName, "'", "''")
2) customerName = Replace(customerName, Chr(39), Chr(39) & Chr(39))
Chr(39) is the ASCII code for a Single Quote and because you are entering the ASCII code you do not need to delimit it with the speech marks (double quotes)

Replace Double Quotes
1) customerName = Replace(customerName, """, """")
2) customerName = Replace(customerName, Chr(34), Chr(34) & Chr(34))
Chr(34) is the ASCII code for a Double Quote and because you are entering the ASCII code you do not need to delimit it with the speech marks (double quotes)

Why do we have this problem with the quotes in SQL statements?

If the double quote is used as the SQL Statement delimiter as in the following sample SQL Statement:-

SQL:
strSQLQuoteDetailsInsert = "INSERT INTO tblOrderDetails(ItemNo, EstID, ModelNo, Description) VALUES (" & strItemNo & ", " & lngEstID & ", " & strModelNo & ", " & strDescription & ")"

If the variable passed in "strDescription" contains a Double Quote then your SQL Statement would see that Double Quote as a text delimiter for the SQL Statement and not part of the passed through text.
The problem is that I have Single quotes and double quote that are in the string, such as: 2'-6" long, 4'-0" wide.
What the hell do I do now?
I am starting to wonder if I can use a macro and just run some append queries or If I will run into the same issues.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
The problem is that I have Single quotes and double quote that are in the string,

Have you tried the code that I posted? I think it should work, because if you're using double quotes then single Quotes will pass through OK, and the Replace code will replace any double Quotes.

slharman1

Local time
Have you tried the code that I posted? I think it should work, because if you're using double quotes then single Quotes will pass through OK, and the Replace code will replace any double Quotes.
Yes I did, it changed the string that came through and put double quotes in the string. Although I am not 100% sure I understand your code. It looks to me it replaces everything I’m the string where a quote is to double quotes. Is that how it is supposed to act?

slharman1

Local time
Here is what the immediate window give me on break:
?strSQLQuoteAccessInsert
INSERT INTO tblOrderAcc(OrderDetailID, ItemNo, EstID, ModelNo, Description, Qty, Price) VALUES (9, "1", 19, " ", ""Pot Sink with rolled rim, 30"""" wide x 12'-0"""" long, with (3) 30"""" long x 26"""" wide x 15"""" deep. (3) lever drains. Faucets by others."", 1, 224.0304)

For some reason the code gives me a inappropriate use of null for the ModelNo field even though it is not null.
Also, for the second and third records in the details section of the insert, I have changed the setting of the variable to this:
Code:
curAccessPrice = Nz(rsQuoteDetailsList!AccessPrice, 0)
Do to the fact that some records will have null in the field for the records regularly.
It will happen for the Model Number in the details and accessories sections as well on some occasions.

Here is my current code, I cannot seem to get the details or the accessories records to come into the orders detail and order accessories tables.
I am getting frustrated.

Code:
Public Function AddNewOrder()

Dim curDB As DAO.Database
    Set curDB = CurrentDb

Dim varInput As Variant, neworder As Long
    varInput = InputBox("Enter quote number for new order:")
    If IsNumeric(varInput) = False Then
        MsgBox varInput & " is not a valid quote number"
        Exit Function
    End If

neworder = CLng(varInput)

Dim rsQuoteList As DAO.Recordset

'added quoteID to SQL for details and accessories
    Dim strSQL_QuoteRSL As String
    strSQL_QuoteRSL = "SELECT QuoteID, QuoteNumber, CustID, CustConID, CustLocID, JobName, ShippingID, TermsID, Notes FROM tblQuotes WHERE QuoteNumber = " & neworder

'Quote variables
    Dim lngQuoteNumber As Long
    Dim lngCustID As Long
    Dim lngCustConID As Long
    Dim lngCustLocID As Long
    Dim strJobName As String
    Dim lngShippingID As Long
    Dim lngTermsID As Long
    Dim strNotes As String

Set rsQuoteList = curDB.OpenRecordset(strSQL_QuoteRSL, 8)
        Dim lngQuoteID As Long

lngQuoteID = rsQuoteList!QuoteID 'get QuoteID for details

Do Until rsQuoteList.EOF
                lngQuoteNumber = rsQuoteList!QuoteNumber
                lngCustID = rsQuoteList!CustID
                lngCustConID = rsQuoteList!CustConID
                lngCustLocID = rsQuoteList!CustLocID
                strJobName = rsQuoteList!JobName
                lngShippingID = rsQuoteList!ShippingID
                lngTermsID = rsQuoteList!TermsID
                strNotes = rsQuoteList!Notes

strJobName = Chr(34) & strJobName & Chr(34)
                strNotes = Chr(34) & strNotes & Chr(34)

Dim strSQLQuoteInsert As String
                strSQLQuoteInsert = "INSERT INTO tblOrders(OrderNumber, CustID, CustConID, CustLocID, JobName, ShippingID, TermsID, Notes) VALUES (" & lngQuoteNumber & ", " & lngCustID & ", " & lngCustConID & ", " & lngCustLocID & ", " & strJobName & ", " & lngShippingID & ", " & lngTermsID & ", " & strNotes & ")"
                curDB.Execute strSQLQuoteInsert

'Details Variables

Dim strItemNo As String
                    Dim lngEstID As Long
                    Dim strModelNo As String
                    Dim lngQty As Long
                    Dim curPrice As Currency
                    'Dim lngQuoteID As Long

curAccessPrice = Nz(rsQuoteDetailsList!AccessPrice, 0)

'strDescription = Chr(34) & strDescription & Chr(34)

'Accessories Start here
                            Dim rsQuoteAccessList As DAO.Recordset
                            Dim strSQL_QuoteAccessRSL As String
                            strSQL_QuoteAccessRSL = "SELECT QuoteAccID, QuoteDetailID, ItemNo, EstID, ModelNo, Description, Qty, Price FROM tblQuoteAcc WHERE QuoteDetailID = " & lngQuoteDetailID

'Accessories variables
                                Dim strAItemNo As String
                                Dim lngAEstID As Long
                                Dim strAModelNo As String
                                Dim strADescription As String
                                Dim lngAQty As Long
                                Dim curAPrice As Currency

Set rsQuoteAccessList = curDB.OpenRecordset(strSQL_QuoteAccessRSL, 8)

Do Until rsQuoteAccessList.EOF
                                        lngQuoteDetailID = rsQuoteAccessList!QuoteDetailID
                                        strAItemNo = rsQuoteAccessList!ItemNo
                                        lngAEstID = rsQuoteAccessList!EstID
                                        strAModelNo = rsQuoteAccessList!ModelNo
                                        strADescription = rsQuoteAccessList!Description
                                        lngAQty = rsQuoteAccessList!Qty
                                        curAPrice = rsQuoteAccessList!Price

strAItemNo = Chr(34) & strAItemNo & Chr(34)
                                        strAModelNo = Chr(34) & strAModelNo & Chr(34)
                                        strADescription = Chr(34) & strDescription & Chr(34)
                                        strADescription = Replace(strDescription, Chr(34), Chr(34) & Chr(34))
                                        'strADescription = Chr(34) & Chr(34) & strDescription & Chr(34) & Chr(34)

Dim strSQLQuoteAccessInsert As String
                                        strSQLQuoteAccessInsert = "INSERT INTO tblOrderAcc(OrderDetailID, ItemNo, EstID, ModelNo, Description, Qty, Price) VALUES (" & lngQuoteDetailID & ", " & strAItemNo & ", " & lngAEstID & ", " & strAModelNo & ", " & strADescription & ", " & lngAQty & ", " & curAPrice & ")"
                                        curDB.Execute strSQLQuoteAccessInsert

rsQuoteAccessList.MoveNext
                                    Loop
                            'Accessories End Here

rsQuoteDetailsList.MoveNext

Loop

'MsgBox ">>>" & lngQuoteNumber

rsQuoteList.MoveNext
          Loop

End Function

Last edited:

slharman1

Local time
Not sure if you saw my other two posts below, but I am making it through the code until the insert for the accessories, I can't understand why the details portion makes it through but not the accessories portion.

Even thogh it is still not writing the first record to the details table

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:57
A lot has happened in this thread since I was away and so pardon me if someone already mentioned this, but I noticed there was some discussion about needing char(34), ", around text and just wanted to throw in this tip:

Access will also accept single quotes, which means you can reduce the complexity of the VBA significantly by simply leveraging this approach rather than using double quotes at all.

strSQL = "select * from table where textcolumn=" & chr(34) & SomeVariable & chr(34)

becomes

strSQL = select * from table where textcolumn='" & SomeVariable & "'"

slharman1

Local time
A lot has happened in this thread since I was away and so pardon me if someone already mentioned this, but I noticed there was some discussion about needing char(34), ", around text and just wanted to throw in this tip:

Access will also accept single quotes, which means you can reduce the complexity of the VBA significantly by simply leveraging this approach rather than using double quotes at all.

strSQL = "select * from table where textcolumn=" & chr(34) & SomeVariable & chr(34)

becomes

strSQL = select * from table where textcolumn='" & SomeVariable & "'"
Isaac, I am so frustrated I am looking for a new solution to my problem.
Here is what I need to accomplish:

Table 1: Quotes - fields: PK=QuoteID, QuoteNumber, Desc
Table 2: QuoteDetails - fields: PK=QuoteDetailsID, FK-QuoteID, Desc, Qty, Price
Table 3: QuoteAccesories - fields: PK=QuoteAccID, FK=QuoteDetailsID, Desc, Qty, Price

These tables are related by the obvious fields shown.
The description for both the QuoteDetails and the QuoteAcc tables typically have strings with this type of info - "2'-4" long x 4'-6" wide"
I need to copy the related records from all three tables using QuoteNumber (or even QuoteID if that's easier) to an Orders set of tables with the same fields (but there are other fields as well.)

I have been struggling to get the code in all the previous posts to work past the initial Quote table being copied to the order table - in other words no QuoteDetails records or QuoteDetailAcc records are getting inserted to the appropriate orders tables.

This is the last step before I can begin using and refining this database and I am at my wits end.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:57
Personally, I would create a new thread that defines/frames the specific problem you're having now. You might get a fresh set of eyes focused on the narrow problem at hand. Remember to post the specific problem and the code you've used/using that's not producing desired results.

slharman1

Local time
Personally, I would create a new thread that defines/frames the specific problem you're having now. You might get a fresh set of eyes focused on the narrow problem at hand. Remember to post the specific problem and the code you've used/using that's not producing desired results.
I will do that but my code is initially flawed because I do not understand how to create the proper recordset for the final accessories table since the quote id is no longer present in the accessories table due to normalization rules. (ie, the quoteID is not in the table for the accessories, only the quoteDetailsID)

slharman1

Local time
I am using both double quotes and single quotes in the text field that is the variable

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I am using both double quotes and single quotes in the text field that is the variable

Are you saying it's working? or have you got a problem?

If a problem, then you can do some tests yourself.

Set up a temporary table with data in it, sample data that you can pass through using the insert into query. You'll only need 5 or 10 records. Keep changing the contents of the records until you get it working, and then add characters back in until it breaks. You should be able to identify what is causing the problem.

slharman1

Local time
Are you saying it's working? or have you got a problem?

If a problem, then you can do some tests yourself.

Set up a temporary table with data in it, sample data that you can pass through using the insert into query. You'll only need 5 or 10 records. Keep changing the contents of the records until you get it working, and then add characters back in until it breaks. You should be able to identify what is causing the problem.
It is working for the parent table but not for the child tables.
I am not sure my nested loops are correct.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:57
have not tested yet.

Attachments

• code.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 132

slharman1

Local time
have not tested

have not tested yet.
I have actually solved the problem of getting the INSERT INTO not working.
Could you look at my new code and tell me where I am going wrong with the looping for this line: Do Until rsOrderDetailsList.EOF
I am getting data from another record in the child table.
I will take a look at your code and try to figure out what you are trying to show me.
Thank you

Attachments

• AddNewOrder.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 134

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom