Checking AWF hit Count... (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:23
Significant decrease in visits to both sites. I had notice actually, I didn't think the site was that busy lately. I thought people might be going to other sites, but I think it's a general downturn.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
duration is longer than UA and no of pages lower - kinda says to me that visitors are finding what they are looking for more easily on AWF

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 09:23
maybe because they can actually read the typeface and font here :ROFLMAO:
ok, sorry ... it's just that, UA's very blurry light blue-on-white font is near impossible to read. it's awful to look at, and web customers are shallow (including myself), we like something that's clear and attractive to look at. I still can hardly believe that they left it that way, after their migration I thought "it's obviously a mistake, they're probably working on it", but after a few weeks came to accept that is not the case. If I made a website, how it looked would be a high priority, but they wanted to roll their own really badly........

FrankRuperto

Local time
Today, 12:23
UA averaged about the same 50 regular members, and that went down to 30 ever since Jack Leach bought the site from Gordon. A lot of precious posts are no longer available, Jack made the mistake of retiring the old site and this new version is riddled with bugs for quite some time and I no longer visit UA. I consider it an almost dead forum. UA is also not as liberal as AWF, you're considered an outcast if you're not a Microsoft KoolAid Drinker.

In general, all Access related forums have seen a significant drop in visitors and contributors, what does that tell you?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I view the downturn less about peoples choices and more about how prominently Google places us in the listings. They tweak their algo all the time, and if we get a significant drop in visitors, I figure it is due to that. If you look at May last year, they tweaked their algo and we lost half our visitors overnight.

If you zoom out to the bigger picture over a longer time-frame, the increase in alternatives to Access is likely to be the contributor to the long slow decline.

FrankRuperto

Local time
...the increase in alternatives to Access is likely to be the contributor to the long slow decline
That plus most younger developers find no value or future growth in learning Access/VBA versus learning how to develop web apps with python, php, etc.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
That plus most younger developers find no value or future growth in learning Access/VBA versus learning how to develop web apps with python, php, etc.
Does these apps offer anything in the way of data management, or does it have to defined like languages of the past?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I just did a quick GDB on data management with python. Unless I am missing something, data is moved into defined table structures from existing text files. A whole lot of work that Access does for you via GUI.

...AND...

Access comes bundled with MS Office. I just do not see anything replacing Access's ease of use and the ability to develop and deploy an application as quickly and economically. As Pat Hartman is fond of saying: Access is a Rapid Application Development tool.

FrankRuperto

Local time
They sure do. Browsers render the fron end client which link to backend db's like MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL-Server, etc.
/these are just some of the components of the stack. LAMP stacks components are Linux OS, Apache Web /server, MySQL db, and PHP frontend dev language. There are many other stack varieties, LAMP being the most popular combo.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
They sure do. Browsers render the fron end client which link to backend db's like MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL-Server, etc.
/these are just some of the components of the stack. LAMP stacks components are Linux OS, Apache Web /server, MySQL db, and PHP frontend dev language. There are many other stack varieties, LAMP being the most popular combo.
None of which come with the office suite like Access does. The reason Access is still around is that there simply nothing that can replace it in its entirety.

FrankRuperto

Local time
Fine, but then youre stuck in the desktop only world, and the world has noved on to the web. I can count on my fingers the number of new developers who want to learn Access/VBA

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Fine, but then youre stuck in the desktop only world, and the world has noved on to the web. I can count on my fingers the number of new developers who want to learn Access/VBA
Agreed, but as the vast majority of the corporate world is using MS Office, they will continue to use what they have already paid for and is readily available. The best thing to do would be for MS to recommit themselves to Web Access - not going to hold my breath.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I just did a quick GDB on data management with python. Unless I am missing something, data is moved into defined table structures from existing text files. A whole lot of work that Access does for you via GUI.

I think PHP and MySQL is a better route if you want to move onto the web, which is obviously the way things are going.

I'm still not too sure about Web, because the web has many security issues.

I did the following course, which is presented by Robert Tucker. I just cannot tell you how nice it is to listen to Robert explain how to create your database in PHP and MySQL I could listen to him all day and have done! He does a lesson on security.

I did the course of few years back I've never got around to create in an online database it's on my to-do list!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Thanks Tony...I'll work it into my current work load and Securty+ certification - <sarcasm>riviting stuff!</sarcasm>

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
If you need to support Microsoft Office applications then I think the way to go would be with DYNAMICS CRM 365, learn JavaScript so that you can modify it.

I have had mild exposure to DYNAMICS CRM 365, didn't really do much with it, but I what I did and what I saw I liked.

From a database programmers point of view, I understand it is more flat-file than proper table construction.

The other issue with it, is it really Microsoft's new baby, or will they drop it at the first sign of trouble like they usually do?

FrankRuperto

Local time
Agreed, but as the vast majority of the corporate world is using MS Office, they will continue to use what they have already paid for and is readily available. The best thing to do would be for MS to recommit themselves to Web Access - not going to hold my breath.
Agreed, but Access is simply not part of that Office Corporate world. Ironically, Excel is the main tool of choice and the tool which MS invests the most time and money to improve it.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Agreed, but Access is simply not part of that Office Corporate world. Ironically, Excel is the main tool of choice and the tool which MS invests the most time and money to improve it.
I'm not sold on that idea. While no where CLOSE to Excel's popularity, there are many who have ventured into the Access world. My last three gigs have been cleaning up and maintaining the monster they created - the still want it but do not know how to care for it. I'll be the first to say that it IS a niche that will die eventually, but until it does, Ill ride this horse until it falls out from underneath me and hopefully prepare myself for what replaces it. At 55, I just need it to last another 10 years...unless I win the lottery. I suppose I should buy a ticket once in a while

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 09:23
Power Apps, Power Automate is a new big thing. We are using it now at my business. I think AWF should open up a forum for it and get in on it.
It creates browser based apps. Having to know how to code is slowly becoming a thing of the past for rapid application app dev.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom