Click v Double Click (1 Viewer)

LanaR

Local time
Today, 23:05
I have, or rather had, both a click and double click events on a sub form in datasheet view. On their own, each performed their task as expected. However, when both were enabled at the same time, the Click event was firing in preference to the double click event firing. My understanding is click speed is controlled at system level. So I'm a bit perplexed as to what is causing this behaviour.

Has anyone else come across this? If so what was your solution?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:05
You might find a hotkey a better solution. See video number 4 on my website here:-

LanaR

Local time
Very nice 👍 I think that will fill the bill nicely :)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Very nice 👍 I think that will fill the bill nicely :)

If you would like a free copy of the sample database, contact me in a private message and I will explain how you can get a free copy.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
@LanaR - In Access a click event is always fired regardless of the secondary "double" click happening.
Because of that, they are in real use mutually exclusive.

Personally, I tend to use Double Click to fire events on anything except a command button, as it seems more intuitive to me. (e.g. a reference number in a continuous form list to open a detail form or pop-up)

LanaR

Local time
@Minty I didn't realise Access had that behaviour. Normally I'd just use the double click event, as you suggest, but in this situation I wanted a second option, and figured like most other applications Access could discriminate between a click and a double click

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 08:05
I didn't look at Uncles video yet but I usually use a mouse down event on a button or whatever control to get two different subs to fire. For instance, Ctrl-Click on the button to get the mouse down event to fire. What's really interesting is that if you put a click event on a label and use a double click on that same label, it fires both events no problem! It won't do that on a button though.

Code:
Private Sub RunBtn_MouseDown(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
   If Shift = 2 Then
      DoCmd.OpenForm "MyOtherForm"
   End If
End Sub

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What action are you trying to identify? Perhaps the GotFocus event would work for the Click.

LanaR

Local time
What action are you trying to identify? Perhaps the GotFocus event would work for the Click.
The click function opens an information form, whilst the double click runs an update query. I believe that both @Uncle Gizmo and @Mike Krailo solutions will fit the bill. I've not yet compared the two options as I only downloaded UG's DB just before I went to bed last night.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you could consider using the mouse down or up events for your click event - they have a shift parameter so if 1 the the dosomething (user is holding down the shft key)

Private Sub Text0_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
Debug.Print "dc"
End Sub

Private Sub Text0_MouseUp(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
If Shift = 1 Then Debug.Print "MU"
End Sub

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I question the running of an update query based on a double-click. Sounds like there is something wrong with the schema that is causing you to store calculated values.

LanaR

Local time
@Pat Hartman I believe that the schema is fine. However, your comment has caused me to go back and look at what is going on, and I do believe that there may be other ways of achieving what I'm doing without running the query, which I will explore shortly. Thanks for the prod :)

LanaR

Local time
If there is a way of overcomplicating something, I'll unusually find it
HeadBang.gif

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Always happy t unwind something overly complicated:) especially when I didn't even have to see it:)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Let's not fight children. I probably have more experience at making mistakes than both of you combined which is why I don't even have to see one to recognize it:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom