Clock time (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:32
Can we have the clock timing back to UK GMT time again please?

This foreign time is very confusing. I thought this was a UK site run by a UK person - why do we pander to the Yanks with their funny time?

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
:confused:

I don't understand, when I login the times shown are GMT.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Oh I see what's happening.

When you just browse without logging in the time is GMT -8hours but if you login with your name the time becomes GMT normal.

How bizarre, why is that?

Col

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:32
I believe the time is shown based upon your profile that you established when you became a member. In my case, I see Chicago time which is not a laughing matter.

Alan

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 13:32
The time shown when not logged in to the forum is due to the location of the web hosting. It is where the server resides. If you are logged in, it converts it. But if not, it uses the server time as the displayed time.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Just to set the record straight my don't understand was Col's comment , I assumed that he was logging in, I always thought that it worked as per Bob's post, perhaps I should have been more explicit but assumed it was just a Col windup.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
No not a wind up. I don't do that, people just misinterpret it that way.

Anyway, I always log in manually if there is a need to post, else I just browse as a guest. Hence the two different times.

I still think it should be GMT time though as the site is British.

Col

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:32
Running out of things to complain about Col?

The domain is registered as a UK TLD but apparently hosted in the US. Who really cares?

Just log in and you won't be reminded

joemach

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:32
Think about it, if you are not logged in, how the heck will the server know where you are to give you the time where you are?

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:32
Well, if we think about it a little more, why should the server report west coast USA time if the user’s location is unknown?

Certainly an assumption will need to be made but if it is assumed that the user is anywhere in the world then why not report world time, UTC (GMT)?

In our user control panel we set our time offset to UTC not west coast USA. It would appear then that, when logged in, our time is calculated from server time +/- server daylight saving time and server offset to UTC and our offset to UTC +/- our daylight saving time.

When not logged in, the only people who benefit from the currently displayed time are those who live in the same time zone as the server. But this is a world wide site so why not show world wide time to all?

I would be surprised if the vBulletin software did not have its own UTC offset to set the displayed time away from the server time and back to UTC time.

Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom