Cloud - Ms Access and SQL Server application (1 Viewer)

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:51
Anyone managed to do this successfully and can share how they set it up.

Its a multi user FE system, with SQL server BE.

At the moment we are talking to cloud providers, who see to provide very little in terms of knowledge, advice - but a hefty fee.

Any guidance - particularly from those who have done it would be most helpful.

An idea of what costs should be would be good also.

This would be a great benefit to all access user I reckon.

Thanks

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 02:51
I can tell you that I not only have a multi-user Access Application running using the exact configuration you are describing but I also have a web application linked to the same data, allowing users to interface with the data both from a desktop application but also by using their web browser. (The reason for using the Access developed application and the web app is, I can use the RAD capabilities of Access to quickly develop and test ideas and options and when I am satisfied with the results, I can share the concept, code and any sql statements with my web developer to make the development of the same functionality much easier for him. I can also then verify that the web app is performing exactly as I had designed the app in Access.)

As far as how it is setup; At this time I am using a DNS-less connection, however when I first started with development using SQL Server, I just created an ODBC connection and linked the tables in the SQL Server database. The ODBC connection can be converted to the DNS-less connection later.

My website, web app and my database are all hosted by the same web host. I do not feel that the cost is that bad. I will not publish any pricing here but you should be able to find a web host that will host the database for a reasonable rate.

If you have already developed you application the following may be a little late, but there are a couple of things that I would strongly suggest that you look at doing. Use Stored Procedures and/or pass through queries to fetch your data. You can use Access queries but if these queries become very complicated you will find that they will also be come very slow.

I am very happy with the way this is all working. If you have more questions, please post back and I am sure someone will be glad to help.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
amazon will give you a feee month to try stuff out on their platform.

they charge based on dbs uptime. relatively low charge based on users/uptime etc but i expect it adds up over time

you will need a pretty fast broadband, I think.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else with suggestions please feel free to contibute as there seem to be many ways to skin a cat on this.

Am I ok Mr B. to PM you and get details of who you use, to get an idea of costs at least.

At the moment we are being quoted for the sql server from one provider at £900 a month. Which frankly is more cost than the client pays us for just the access/sql solution as a client server. At 100 users plus - this doesnt increase- but in the short term we arent going to get anywhere near that level.

gemma - have you any details on amazon, Have you worked with them succesfully? I think any of the options we are looking at rely on a fairly quick connection. (only some of the cloud providers we are talking with, even mention this though, we leads me to beleive they maybe arent the way forward for us)

Has anyone any experience with azure?

Thanks all.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Today, 00:51
I too am very curious about this....

I'm just at the planning stages, but could see this working well. Can someone explain the nuts and bolts of hooking up to the SQL server in the cloud through an Access FE?

My concept is to deploy a dozen or so FE's to various offsite users, then have a hosted SQL server BE. I'll need to have a seamless installation of the FE, as I won't be onsite. I'm thinking SageKey.

I'm open to any and all advice.

Thanks!

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 02:51
AnthonyGerrard, you are quite Ok to PM me. I will be happy to provide any info I can.

GBalcom, I initially created an ODBC connection to connect to my hosted SQL database. When making defining the ODBC connection it is best to use the latest version of the "SQL server Native Client". As of not that is the "SQL Server Native Client 11.0. I used this type of connection durinig most of my development process.

You will need the IP address of the server and the port number that your applicaton will be using. You will also need the name of your database and the password.

Anytime you need to make a change to any table, you will need to update the link to your tables using the linked table manager.

Prior to deployment of the applicaiton I would suggest that you create a module that you can use to create and maintain a "DNS-less connection" to your tables. This prevents other users from having to have a defined ODBC connection.

As for deployment of your FEs; I use SSE Setup (http://www.ssesetup.com/). Tjere is a slight learning curve but deployment has been very easy and getting help with issues you don't understand or just need help with is quite easy. I initially downloaded the free version but because my applicaiton is a commercial product I purchased a licensed copy (very reasonable).

I hope this helps.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
with Amazon, you upload your backend to their servers, and they then give you an ODBC link that works like any other backend.

The issue then becomes one of speed.

albert kallal (MVP) issued a paper explaining why WAN's don't work very well. Not sure to what extent cloud services and sharepoint fix these issues.

http://www.kallal.ca/Wan/Wans.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom