Cloud Processing & Access/VB6 (1 Viewer)

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Today, 23:13
Hi gurus & Access users

With the rapid shift to cloud processing & due to my limited web creation experience, i tend to think that the most popular database is MySql with php (plus others) controlling the user interfaces. All these means that we are moving away from Access and it also mean we have to relearn to get to comfort level we had enjoyed with Access.

My question what are the best options for Access users do to meet this paradigm shift? Office 2013 seem to have something along this direction but i am not sure that's the best way to go or is it at all?

GSSDevelopment

PHP Guru
Local time
Today, 11:13
The better comparison here would be MySQL+PHP(and others) to SQL Server+ASP.NET, rather than to Access.

Access isn't designed to replace databases like MySQL/SQL Server, nor will it ever. MySQL and PHP/Perl/Java/etc. are free, so if you want to learn how to use them, you can start at any time. PHP, in particular, has a LOT of information out there and some really great tutorials.

The best way to meet this shifting demand is to jump in head first. Take a few simple tables and queries from Access and re-build them in MySQL. Look at simple example scripts for PHP and use the PHP online documentation for reference. There are also some good reference books out there (I can suggest some, if you'd like)

And if you have any questions, post them here. I subscribe to the Web / PHP forums and check them daily during the week.

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Today, 23:13
Thanks for the advice, very sorry for replying this late.

What is the web / php forum that you subscribe so that i too can join.

Meanwhile still learning how to do websites using a t3 & helix free templates plus getting into jquery via sites such as W3School to get my foundation right.

So much to learn! but interesting :banghead: Any more advice?? Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom