"Cloud Hosting" for Your Access Database? (1 Viewer)

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 12:41
When your Access relational database becomes mission critical, you often need to look beyond the traditional desktop deployment to ensure that users can continue to work with it in evolving environments. How do I make my Access application available to both on-premises and remote employees?

There are many good answers to that, including having your Access accdbs “hosted in the cloud”. A number of companies offer that service, but sometimes we can be hesitant to explore the unknown.

One leading company providing that service, Caspio, has arranged for Ned Pajic to meet with us and describe how it works. You’ll have a chance to ask questions during and after his presentation.

Join our AUG Pacific Monthly Meeting
Tonight, November 3, 2002 at 6:30 PM Pacific.
Use Time Zone Buddy to make sure you don't miss this one.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:41
Oh that's annoying I would like to see that but we're out this evening, and not sure I'll be up at 1am on a school night!
Any chance it will be recorded for interested parties.
And can someone proffer the question about how it compares to using a local Access FE with Azure SQL, both in terms of performance and price?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
No worries. We record the meetings and upload them to YouTube. I'll provide the link when it's ready.

I don't feel comfortable commenting on that comparison myself (one reason I scheduled in the presentation), but the entire Caspio experience becomes a web-based application, FE and BE. Performance and price would have to come from with direct experience I would imagine.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
No worries. We record the meetings and upload them to YouTube. I'll provide the link when it's ready.

I don't feel comfortable commenting on that comparison myself (one reason I scheduled in the presentation), but the entire Caspio experience becomes a web-based application, FE and BE. Performance and price would have to come from with direct experience I would imagine.

Fair enough.
I'll still be very interested to see the presentation when it's ready.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
We used to use an Access DB in my last place of work, that was based on WIndows Server (I think) and all browser based.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
We used to use an Access DB in my last place of work, that was based on WIndows Server (I think) and all browser based.

It turns out the Caspio environment is different.

I won't get the video edited until sometime early next week. I was hoping to have time this weekend but that looks iffy.

Long story short, there are three steps.

1. Migrate your data from Access tables to the Caspio database.
  2. Set up the Caspio tables with PK and FK, relationships, etc.
  3. Create a new web interface to the Caspio tables. This is a responsive interface so that it runs in a browser or on a smart device, i.e. a phone or tablet.
There are some additional plug-ins to enable scheduled data synch between local Access tables and the Caspio tables via an ETL process.

Depending on your specific business and requirements, this may be a viable addition to your toolkit.

amorosik

Local time
Today, 21:41

Please, can you write the youtube link of the recorded session?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom