Clueless Visionaries (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:31
A giant nuclear-powered ‘flying hotel’, complete with a gym and swimming pool is set to carry 5,000 passengers in unparalleled luxury.

A new CGI video details how the AI-piloted Sky Cruise plans to remain airborne for months at a time, while also docking to take on new passengers, or to drop off anyone board.

The futuristic hybrid between a plane and hotel – which has 20 engines powered by nuclear fusion – is designed never to land.

Hashem Alghaili, who created the incredibly detailed mockup of the monster aircraft, says the nuclear-powered sky cruise “could be the future of transport”.
I suppose I shouldn't laugh, but this is too unbelievable. But consider that Musk had the vision to create Tesla and is now the richest man in the world. So maybe this guy sees something!!

My reaction. This "airplane" would be extremely massive. The same goal, of a flying hotel, could be achieved by using a Dirigibles (Zeppelins). At least with a dirigible you get buoyancy by using Helium. As envisioned, massive nuclear reactors would be very heavy, not to mention having the weight of pools containing water.
1656631172320.png

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:31
or to drop off anyone board.
presumably a parachute an extra cost?

Have to say, think living on board would be boring - lower air pressure, no 'weather variety', nothing to look at or sight see. Might as well live in a hole in the ground.

Reminds me of the film Snowpiercer

Also great target for terrorists

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 01:31
I read that too and my reaction was a perfect fit to your post title, if I may presume.
I'm just not sure how much value these things they keep trying to make "super airplanes" have.

What exactly is the appeal of sitting around in these activities, whether they be restaurants, pools, hotels, shopping malls in the air?? We already have them on the ground, and the ground never crashes.

Anything on water I can understand - make it better, make it bigger, make it more amazing - but that's because there is an intrinsic appeal to being on water, it's beautiful and inspiring to many.

I'm not sure the sky is that way, I mean, you look out the window and what - endless gray cotton balls. But the mere novelty of it will make someone money, even if it's like those mall kiosks: 100% first time customers

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:31
True, but take it to the next step (a very big step, admittedly) and you have a generational star ship. Many authors have posited such a thing as a way for humanity to spread out. Heck, even ST:ToS had an episode, "For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" about generation ships. One of the few times that "Bones" McCoy got the girl.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 01:31
True, but take it to the next step (a very big step, admittedly) and you have a generational star ship. Many authors have posited such a thing as a way for humanity to spread out. Heck, even ST:ToS had an episode, "For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" about generation ships. One of the few times that "Bones" McCoy got the girl.

I guess that does appeal to me, you're right.
Mankind having the option to spread out would be potentially very good on so many levels.

Ok now you have me rooting for it 🤠

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 09:31
Don't think its practical but wow a starship I think one day - probably not in our lifetimes but maybe in our descendents - it will be a thing...

I certainly wouldn't really want to go on a startship unless there was somewhere nice to go... but it might be the step before there is somewhere to go.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What was that? Drones with light fixtures? DAMN that was well-done!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Regarding the original article, we cannot forget that modern oceanic cruise ships are not that dissimilar in concept, even if not airborne. AND there are folks who have enough wealth socked away to actually live on cruise ships full time. I'd love to have the money to do that. (I wouldn't actually do it - but I'd love to have the money.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom