Question Combining 3 Fields (Not Concatenate) (1 Viewer)

gopherking

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:44
My database is currently being imported with data from another application which contains 3 fields that all store the same "types" of information (User ID's). Each of the fields are required since we are wanting to show who made the request, who is the request made on behalf of, and who is the sponsor of the request (basically the manager).

I have another table in my database called Lookup_UserName, which is for users to update the User ID and the associated UserName as they find blank User Names in their reports. I am trying to make this easier on them by comparing what is coming from the import and what we already have stored in the Lookup_UserName table to show which User ID's don't exist. The idea is that the users would then be able to click on a Form that would allow them to see which User ID's don't exist in the Lookup_UserName table and have the opportunity to enter in the UserName (which would have VBA set to the Before Update property to also copy over the User ID to the Lookup_UserName table).

The problem I have is getting the 3 different fields into a single field (not concatenate) so that I can determine which ID's are missing. By the way, it is possible for the same User ID to exist in any of the 3 fields. Any thoughts on combining these fields into one?

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:44
Append the User IDs from the fresh data to the Username file one field at a time. Either make the User ID field your PK or set it as index, no duplicates so that any existing User IDs are not repeated. Then look for fields with nulls in the UserName field.

gopherking

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:44
Thanks neileg ... I figured it out just a few hours ago by using the method you mentioned but had not gotten back here to update my thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom