Solved Combo Box List count (1 Viewer)

ypma

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:10
Expert advise is sort ,
I am using the listcount to obtain the number of rows in a combo box .The text box calculated control I am currently using gives the correct count, unless the number of rows is zero , in that case the output is -1 ,which is the same result as when I do not use minus columnheads .

Code:
=[Combo841].[ListCount]-Abs([Combo841].[ColumnHeads])

Any pointers would be appreciated

Regards Ypma

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:10
What do you get with tihs?
Code:
=[Combo841].[ListCount]+[Combo841].[ColumnHeads]

ypma

Registered User.
Local time
theDBguy thank you for replying to my question. unbelievable the result is the same -1, strange, as it must be counting the column head .
Does the list count begin a zero or 1 ?
Any other suggestions ?

Ypma

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 13:10
The "-1" is the value of a listbox with no items selected. Why it returns that, is likely a limitation of the calculated control. I would build a UDF or set this value in code if this is a single form view.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The "-1" is the value of a listbox with no items selected.
You mean when you use Listbox.Listcount, (assuming no heads), you get -1 even if there are, say, 10 things in the listbox?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 13:10
sorry, I believe -1 is returned as the value of the listindex when nothing is selected. I am saying the doing this with an expression probably will not work when nothing is selected, thus the weird results for both adding and subtracting. Untried but I am sure it will work in vba or UDF. Expressions are pretty limited.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
theDBguy thank you for replying to my question. unbelievable the result is the same -1, strange, as it must be counting the column head .
Does the list count begin a zero or 1 ?
Any other suggestions ?

Ypma
Hi. Try it this way then.
Code:
=IIf([Combo841].[ListCount]>0,[Combo841].[ListCount]+[Combo841].[ColumnHeads],0)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:10
ListCount and ListIndex are two different things. ListIndex is -1 when there is no selection because (like all collections) the rows are zero-based. The ListCount should be the number of rows equal to n+1 if you have N as the highest row. Yes, combobox rows start counting from 0 because they are collections.

Code:
=[Combo841].[ListCount]-Abs([Combo841].[ColumnHeads])

Either expression would display -1 if (a) the list count was zero and (b) you had selected that you wanted to see column headers. This is because .ColumnHeads is T/F, not a number. If it happens to be TRUE, when you bring it into an arithmetic expression, the TRUE becomes -1. (FALSE would have been 0). So I would fully believe the result of -1 with an empty list and column headers enabled.

Last edited:

ypma

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Try it this way then.
Code:
=IIf([Combo841].[ListCount]>0,[Combo841].[ListCount]+[Combo841].[ColumnHeads],0)
theDBguy, Worked like a charm, the -1 was annoying me , but now all is well in my little world .
Thank you

Regards Ypms

ypma

Registered User.
Local time
MajP and Isaac, thank you for your input. Isaac , sorry if I did not fully explain the problem as Isaac pointed out the result of -1 only shows
when there were no rows count .
theDBguy solution has solved my problem

Regards Ypma

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
theDBguy, Worked like a charm, the -1 was annoying me , but now all is well in my little world .
Thank you

Regards Ypms
Hi. You're welcome! We were all happy to assist. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom