Combo box update text box (1 Viewer)

Robert fogarty

Local time
Today, 07:39
Hi everyone. I’ve been trying to get a combo box to dynamically update a text box...that I can edit if I choose. I’ve been stuck on it for hours. All I could come up with was an afterupdate code
[textbox] = [combo496].[column](1)
I’m glad I pushed through and found a solution but there must be a better way??

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 10:39
Good morning Robert. I can’t think of a better way to do it, but I would question as to the “why”.

Can you explain what it is your doing with having the same info on two controls of the same form?

Robert fogarty

Local time
Well I have a combo box that populates material cost and sizes, as well as material names and manufactures etc, but where I’ve come unstuck is the reports, (quotes). Sometimes I need 2 different materials on 1 report, and I guess I’m doing it the hard way but the only way I could do it was to create 2 text boxes that are linked to the report, which I could manually edit after being updated by the combo box. Does that make sense???

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Ok, give me a little rope here. It appears your report is an invoice that includes materials. Is that right?

Robert fogarty

Local time
Well not an invoice, a quote but yeah it contains materials, descriptions, options etc etc.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Ok. So if you had a table for quotes and a related table for the materials, then your report could be based on the quote and then you could have an infinite number of materials...?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Lol. I know the feeling! So, lets take it to the basics...can you describe your tables and their structure?

If you are so inclined, you can post your DB (removing any sensitive data). There are a few members here who will be happy to take a look and get you on the right path.

Robert fogarty

Local time
I started with zero knowledge, I have one gigantic table with everything in it. I think I would be too embarrassed to post it. It works but it’s messy!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
We don’t judge here...we have all been seen naked at least once!

Robert fogarty

Local time
Ok, I’ll have to remove all of my rates and suppliers pricing etc, then I’ll throw it up and we can all have a chuckle together.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Not sure but I think you are 3 post shy of being able to upload anything. If I have that correctly, you may consider going to the "Introduce youeself" thread to run up your count...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Ok, I’ll have to remove all of my rates and suppliers pricing etc, then I’ll throw it up and we can all have a chuckle together.

Look at it this way: Your willingness to "jump on the grenade" might encourage others to come out of the shadows. At the least, they may learn from this thread so that they can become that much better...

Robert fogarty

Local time
I’ll start cleaning it up, and have a look around. Let you know when I’ve got it sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom