Combo box wizard doesn't display option (1 Viewer)

balpers

Local time
Today, 09:41
In form design mode in some databases, the combo box wizard displays

"I want the combo box to look up the values in a table or query."

This is the option I need.

In other databases, this option doesn't appear in the wizard.

I can't see any difference in the databases that would produce this difference in the behavior of the wizard.

Can you help me get my option?

Thanks,

Burt

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:41
Without opening up a database and checking, I’m not 100% sure. However I suspect you will need to have relationships set up between your tables.

balpers

Local time
Without opening up a database and checking, I’m not 100% sure. However I suspect you will need to have relationships set up between your tables.

This is really strange. I've done some further checking. I have found that the behavior varies from form to form in the same database.

Example:

I have two single-table forms that reference the same table. This table is on the "one" side of a one-to-many relationship. The forms are almost identical. Form 1 is the original version of a survey. Form 2 is a minor update for 2009 that contains a few new fields. In Form 1 the combo wizard shows all three options. In Form 2 it only shows two options.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:41
I think you only option here is to attach a db that this is happening in for us to look at, telling us the actual names of the Form1 and Form2 you just mentioned. I have to wonder if your wizard has become corrupt, as they sometimes do.

Even if your db has no tables, and thus no queries, the option you want should appear! If you select it under this circumstance Access simply pops a message box telling you that there are no tables/queries to select from.

balpers

Local time
I think you only option here is to attach a db that this is happening in for us to look at, telling us the actual names of the Form1 and Form2 you just mentioned. I have to wonder if your wizard has become corrupt, as they sometimes do.

Even if your db has no tables, and thus no queries, the option you want should appear! If you select it under this circumstance Access simply pops a message box telling you that there are no tables/queries to select from.

Thank you for the response.

I still can't figure out what is going on, but I think I have found a workaround.

1. Create the combo box with the wizard.
2. Hang the following code on the "After Update" event of the combo box:

' Find the record that matches the control.
Dim rs As Object
Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone
rs.FindFirst "[isnum] = " & Str(Nz(Me![Combo477], 0))
If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark

Where isnum is the field you are using to locate the record
and Combo477 is the name of the combo box.

I also found an MS support document that seems to refer to the issue (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165035) but I'm having a little trouble understanding it. The title seems to contradict the explanation.

I'd be happy to submit the database. I'd have to strip out the data and send an empty database. Would this work? Is there a fast, simple way to strip out all data?

Thanks again for the help.

Burt

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom