Solved Combo Box's Value List 'shifts' when linked to a Control Source (1 Viewer)

XelaIrodavlas

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:28
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me to understand some odd behaviour I've observed (Access 2010). I wanted a combo box with options: Basic, Intermediate, and Full, but I want to return 1,2 and 3 to the control source. Should be easy, I set these properties:

Control Source: {Blank}
Row Source: 1; Basic; 2; Intermediate; 3; Full
Row Source Type: Value List
Column Count: 2
Column Size: 1cm; 4cm

And this works perfectly, showing:
1 ¦ Basic
2 ¦ Intermediate
3 ¦ Full

But then
I set the Control Source to the desired field (a Text field), and it looks like this...:
Basic ¦ Intermediate
Full ¦ {Blank}

I'm pretty sure I can fix this by making a new table to contain the three options, but to be honest I really just want to understand this behaviour. How can the control source affect the format/layout of a combo box? (I've made no unusual changes to the Field table-side).

Any ideas?
Thanks as always ^^

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Have you set the Bound Column?

XelaIrodavlas

Registered User.
Local time
Bound Column is 1

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I just tried it and had the bound column hidden as normal for me, and it worked fine?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
That makes no sense, are you sure the column count is set to 2 ?
Did you save the design changes before opening the form.

Worst-case in the situation where nothing makes sense is possibly a corrupt control.
Delete the control, save and close the form.
Compact and repair the database.
Open and recreate the control from scratch.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:28
I am confused by something you said:

I set the Control Source to the desired field (a Text field), and it looks like this...:

What EXACTLY did you mean by that? Because normally you don't set a .RowSource to a field. You set it to a table/query/SQL statement and then adjust the bound column and other properties. I don't know WHAT Access would do for a reference where you SHOULD be presenting a value-list and the .RowSourceType should indicate a value list but then the .RowSource ISN'T a value-list.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
according to you, column 1 is numeric - but then you assign a text field to the control source. That simply won't work. the field should be numeric

XelaIrodavlas

Registered User.
Local time
Well I may never know why exactly it was doing this (some deep imbedded bug born of niche circumstance perhaps) but I deleted the linked table from the fe and connected to it like new, and somehow, that solved the display issue with my combo box :ROFLMAO:

Utterly bizarre.

Thanks for all the answers! Sorry for the confusion with that last sentence :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom