Compact and Repair questions (1 Viewer)

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:06
My 2010 db is shared with several users. The data is a backend mysql db connected via odbc. I have it set to automatically compact and repair upon close. My assumption is that the backend isn't affected by this. I share updated versions of the front end by uploading to an ftp site and alerting users to download the updated version. I have noticed that setting it to automatically compact and repair on close makes little apparent difference in the size. If I manually do it, the file size is greatly reduced. First of all, why doesn't the automatic setting take care of this ? While researching this, I ran into the following:

Unless you are sharing a single database file with other users on a network, you should set your database to automatically compact and repair.

Why should I not be automatically compacting and repairing?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:06
I presume you are compacting the front end. If so, then it shouldn't change in size after the final compact before distribution since it (should) only contain code/forms/reports and queries. You say your backend is mySQL so a compact and repair will not work on that anyway

Why should I not be automatically compacting and repairing?
As far as your front end is concerned, since each user has their own copy, you can, but as stated above it is unlikely to make a difference.

Unless you are sharing a single database file with other users on a network
This is because you cannot compact a db if there are other users using it at the time,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom