Complex Local Access Database - Enable Work from Home (1 Viewer)

kasmax

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:59
I think there is a very easy, quick and efficient way that i have been using.
so basically if you have a web hosting with sql server then
convert your access backend to sql server which is very easy and very quick to do. there are many tools available to do that.
then upload or import your converted sql server database to your web hosting.
and finally in you access database frontend use link table manager to link your tables to the online sql server database.

everthing else works as it is and multiple people can use it from internet. all the vba code works as it is.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:59
In theory, Access can connect via the internet to any remote database simply by linking the BE to the remote server. I have actually tested this. It works but it is not a pretty sight. The server has to be set up to accept these connections. Access runs as normal on the user's PC. The BE is somewhere else. HOWEVER, Access is not optimized for this and an app that runs fine connected to a LAN based server will slow to a very painful crawl when the BE is not on the LAN but somewhere over the internet. Even the fastest internet connection is less than a tenth of the speed of the slowest LAN. It just doesn't work. You could have some success using Azure but you'd have to make a lot of changes to the FE to minimize network traffic. Given the age of the app, it was probably not written with client/server techniques in mind. You can't do it in a day and it might not work fast enough anyway.

Caspio requires rewriting the entire app. It sounds good on paper but isn't a viable solution at this time.

Remote desktop is about the only solution you can implement on the fly. For those who have desktops at work and desktops or laptops at home, you would set up the office PC to accept the connection.

For a long term solution Citrix is probably the cleanest solution that provides the best performance and doesn't require any changes to the app. Running your own Citrix server allows you to support both LAN and remote connections. You can use a third party to run Citrix for you BUT that requires ALL users to use Citrix all the time and it will be very hard to interact with your LAN based files if you do word or excel automation.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:59
I'm using GoToMyPC to connect to my computer at my client site. This is very easy to set up and you pay by the month so it is a much smaller investment than Citrix or RD.

It supports file sharing and local printing as well as dual monitors. It's almost as good as being in the office as long as nothing happens physically to your actual pc like a power outage.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:59
It supports file sharing and local printing as well as dual monitors. It's almost as good as being in the office as long as nothing happens physically to your actual pc like a power outage.

If you are doing this, make sure your PC Bios setting is set to resume On State if it loses power, at least it will turn itself back on.
The Google desktop sharing software lets you log back in remote,y.

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 10:59
I've been using Teamviewer for many years for personal use, but they have a paid version for business use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom