Solved Concatenating addresses on a report (1 Viewer)

debsamguru

Local time
Today, 10:44
I'm trying to concatenate address lines on a report so that empty lines don't show up. I've searched the forum and found a thread that recommends doing this:
Code:
=[InvoiceAddr1]+Chr(13) & Chr(10)+[InvoiceAddr2]+Chr(13) & Chr(10)+[InvoiceAddr3]+Chr(13) & Chr(10)+[InvoiceAddr4]+Chr(13) & Chr(10)+[InvoiceAddr5]+Chr(13) & Chr(10)+[InvoicePostcode]+Chr(13) & Chr(10)+[InvoiceCountry]

I have put this code in the Control Source of the first Text Box and removed all of the other text boxes and made sure that Can Grow/Can Shrink are set to 'Yes'.

However, all I get is #Type! The Text Format is set to Plain Text and all of the fields are defined as Short Text fields.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 04:44
1. The concatenate operator in Access is & not +.

2. Don't try and eat your elephant in one bite. Which of those 20 things you are concatenating together is the issue? Wipe out 19 and just leave [InvoiceAddr1] in there. If that's not the issue add Chr(13) to it. If that doesn't break it add Chr(10), if that doesn't break it add [InvoiceAddr2] if that doesn't break it...

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:44
1. The concatenate operator in Access is & not +.

Both can be used to concatenate, and the trick being attempted here is that + will propagate Null while & will not.

I'd start small as plog recommended, and use parentheses around the + concatenations so you aren't mixing:

=FirstAddress & (PotentialNull + Chr(10))

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:44
you can also create a function in a Module to perform the concatenation:
Code:
' arnelgp
Public Function fnConcatFields(ByVal separator As String, ParamArray fields() As Variant) As String
Dim ret As String, tmp As String
Dim i As Integer
For i = 0 To UBound(fields)
    tmp = Trim$(fields(i) & "")
    If Len(tmp) <> 0 Then
        ret = ret & tmp & separator
    End If
Next
If Len(ret) <> 0 Then
    ret = Left$(ret, Len(ret) - 2)
End If
fnConcatFields =

then on a Textbox on your Report:

Code:
=fnConcatFields(Chr(13)+Chr(10),[InvoiceAddr1],[InvoiceAddr2],[InvoiceAddr3],[InvoiceAddr4],[InvoiceAddr5],[InvoicePostcode],[InvoiceCountry])

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Knowing that some members just copy the code and not know what it does......
Code:
fnConcatFields = ret
End Function

debsamguru

Local time
Thank you all for your help. I did, in the end, create functions, but for anyone who doesn't want to create a function, the reason it failed was because of missing parentheses around the Chr code. The code worked when I put them in as follows: -
Code:
=[InvoiceAddr1]+(Chr(13) & Chr(10))+[InvoiceAddr2]+(Chr(13) & Chr(10))+[InvoiceAddr3]+(Chr(13) & Chr(10))+[InvoiceAddr4]++(Chr(13) & Chr(10))+[InvoicePostcode]+(Chr(13) & Chr(10))+[InvoiceCountry]

Also, nothing was output at all when the blank field (in this case InvoiceAddr5) was added to the mix which is why I went for the Function approach.

NeilT123

Local time
I use this in a text box which removes blank fields.

Code:
=IIf(Nz(Trim([AccountName]),"")<>"",[AccountName] & Chr(13) & Chr(10)) & IIf(Nz(Trim([Address1]),"")<>"",[Address1] & Chr(13) & Chr(10)) & IIf(Nz(Trim([Address2]),"")<>"",[Address2] & Chr(13) & Chr(10)) & IIf(Nz(Trim([City]),"")<>"",[City] & Chr(13) & Chr(10)) & IIf(Nz(Trim([County]),"")<>"",[County] & Chr(13) & Chr(10)) & [PostCode]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom