Conditional Formatting Not Working (1 Viewer)

jordankoal

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:42
I hate a field that displays a date on a form.
I set the conditional formatting to be
Value is Between Date() and Date() + 14

It would only apply the formatting for dates that were equal to the date and +5 days.

I then tried Between Now() and Now() + 14
Same results

I then tried Between Date() and DateAdd("d",14,Date())
No change

I checked the property for the box and the back style is normal.

I am making the back color a light red. I tried to change the fore color red. Nothing.

I displayed what Date() was giving me in a text box control and I displayed what Date() + 14 was giving me in a text box control. They both were showing the correct dates, but my date, which was in between them, was not changing colors.

Any ideas?

maw230

somewhat competent
Local time
How are you inputting your date formulas into the conditional formatting box?

jordankoal

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. in the conditional formatting box it has Value is and then Between and I input Date() and then in the second box Date() + 14

jordankoal

Registered User.
Local time
I even tried putting this into the Expression Is box:
[90% Check]>=Date() And [90% Check]<=(Date()+14)

No matter which way I do it it will not give me dates that are 14 or less highlighted. I checked and it only goes up to dates that are 5 days or less and highlights them.

maw230

somewhat competent
Local time
I even tried putting this into the Expression Is box:
[90% Check]>=Date() And [90% Check]<=(Date()+14)

No matter which way I do it it will not give me dates that are 14 or less highlighted. I checked and it only goes up to dates that are 5 days or less and highlights them.

The formula works just not with any dates higher than 5 days??

jordankoal

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, If the date is >=Date() or <=Date()+5 it works.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:42
do you have any other conditional formatting rules for this control? is this the only one?

and just to confirm, the field type is a date? it's just that [90% Check] seems an unusual name for a date

maw230

somewhat competent
Local time
I would create a dummy table with a date field and add it to a form. Do the same thing you're doing now and see if you get the same results.

jordankoal

Registered User.
Local time
do you have any other conditional formatting rules for this control? is this the only one?

and just to confirm, the field type is a date? it's just that [90% Check] seems an unusual name for a date

There are no other formatting rules for that control. There are other rules for other controls on the report.

I made sure it was a date by putting =Format([90% Check], "Short Date") for the data.

jordankoal

Registered User.
Local time
I have a query. This query is working off of a project information table. In the table the project has a phase. In the query I have the 30% check expression that says if the project phase = "30%" then make this expression equal the date in the 30% Due Date field. I do the same thing for the other project phases.

When I put the 30% check on the form as a control and go to the format pull down in the format tab of the property sheet it doesn't give me an option of anything. If I add the 30% due date and do the same thing it gives me the option of changing the type of date. Could this be the problem?

I went back to the query and formatted the expression as a "Short Date" and then re added the 30% check to the report but it still won't highlight the correct dates

jordankoal

Registered User.
Local time
I would create a dummy table with a date field and add it to a form. Do the same thing you're doing now and see if you get the same results.

I went and added in the 90% Due Date control, which has the same date as the 90% check and did the same conditional formatting rules and it seems to work.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I would check your field names and importantly your control names and make sure they are different.
I would also move away from your names with % in them as it's likely to cause you problems if not now it will later. Call your 30% calculated date field some thing like dte30Check. Then call the form control txt30Per . this way you will definitely know which you are referring to.

maw230

somewhat competent
Local time
I have a query. This query is working off of a project information table. In the table the project has a phase. In the query I have the 30% check expression that says if the project phase = "30%" then make this expression equal the date in the 30% Due Date field. I do the same thing for the other project phases.

When I put the 30% check on the form as a control and go to the format pull down in the format tab of the property sheet it doesn't give me an option of anything. If I add the 30% due date and do the same thing it gives me the option of changing the type of date. Could this be the problem?

I went back to the query and formatted the expression as a "Short Date" and then re added the 30% check to the report but it still won't highlight the correct dates

Sounds like it may be because it's an expression and not an actual field per se, but I don't know for sure. You can easily test that though.

After you format the expression are you given the same options in the property sheet as [30% due date]?

jordankoal

Registered User.
Local time
I did go in the query and change the format of the expression to equal short dates but it didn't make a difference.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Formatting an expression does not change it into a date. It only displays it like a date. This means when you compare things you aren't probably comparing like with like.

Go back a stage - open your query and try restricting your date fields using the same criteria - maw320 suggested a similar path.

Also try displaying your date + 14 and see what result you get...

jordankoal

Registered User.
Local time
I go to the report and put in another control as a text box that has =[90% Check] + 14 and get #Type! as a result on the report.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I made sure it was a date by putting =Format([90% Check], "Short Date") for the data.
assuming it was a date before, format converts it to text

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I go to the report and put in another control as a text box that has =[90% Check] + 14 and get #Type! as a result on the report.

This indicates that as we suspected you aren't dealing with a date but a text field. Try creating a calculated field in your query that is something like

14Added: dateadd("d",14, [Your original field])

If this fails your original field is not being treated like a date. If it works you are halfway to solving your problem.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 12:42
A date is a Date regardless of Short Date etc.

There is no real reason to format the Date as far as I can see.

Try doing this in VBA rather than using the Format tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom