Conditionally present a Drop down list (1 Viewer)

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:50
If I have a form based on a table with 2 fields.

If field1 = "Customer", then I want field2 to show a dropdown list from another table with 1 field in it, else no dropdown list should apply.

Not quite sure best way to approach ?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:50
Hi. Have you tried adding a criteria to your dropdown?

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Have you tried adding a criteria to your dropdown?

this was an excel data entry b4. i tried defining field2 at table level as a drop down but that gave little wiggle room when i tried to add the conditionality at form design

field1 field2

anything anything

Customer DropDown

repeats down form

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
this was an excel data entry b4. i tried defining field2 at table level as a drop down but that gave little wiggle room when i tried to add the conditionality at form design

field1 field2

anything anything

Customer DropDown

repeats down form

Hi. Rather than do it at the table, try doing it on a form.

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Rather than do it at the table, try doing it on a form.
That's where I kinda flamed out, trying to set a conditional format rule, which kinda worked cept cud not get to the 2nd table with the dropdown values in it.

Also tried setting a CONTROL SOURCE clause for field2 but did not quite "compute". I guess the issue is figuring how to - "referring to" either the 2nd table or to the sql which creates it (the 2nd table).

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
That's where I kinda flamed out, trying to set a conditional format rule, which kinda worked cept cud not get to the 2nd table with the dropdown values in it.

Also tried setting a CONTROL SOURCE clause for field2 but did not quite "compute". I guess the issue is figuring how to - "referring to" either the 2nd table or to the sql which creates it (the 2nd table).

Are you able to post a sample copy of your db? In order for us to tell how to fix what you've tried, we may have to see it.

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
Here is the database

Attachments

• world.accdb
    424 KB · Views: 84

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Here is the database
Hi. Thanks. The attached just does what you asked for. I am not sure if this is going to be useful for you though.

Attachments

• world.zip
    28.4 KB · Views: 84

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
I guess I do not see a lot of benefit from creating a form in Datasheet view - rather than just going directly to the table itself for data entry ???

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I guess I do not see a lot of benefit from creating a form in Datasheet view - rather than just going directly to the table itself for data entry ???
Hi. Maybe you can't, but we always recommend to use forms instead of editing data directly from the table. For example, your original request can't be done at the table level, so I suggested to use a form instead.

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
That example scared me away cause when I entered data in field2 it appeared the same in every row on the form

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
That example scared me away cause when I entered data in field2 it appeared the same in every row on the form

That's because you were using an unbound control. That's why I said, I didn't think the sample would be of any use to you. No matter what you pick in field2 will not be stored in the table, if that's what you were trying to do.

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
Alas, I guess it is simply not possible to turn on or off a dropdown list in the same column of a form field ON A ROW BY ROW BASIS - based on the value of another field.

JCColindres

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:50
How about making it visible instead ?

If field1 = "Customer" Then
Me.field2.Visible = True
Else
Me.field2.Visible = False
End If

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Alas, I guess it is simply not possible to turn on or off a dropdown list in the same column of a form field ON A ROW BY ROW BASIS - based on the value of another field.

Hi. Of course it is possible. In fact, I think there are at least three ways to do it. We just need more information about what you're trying to accomplish, so we can give some appropriate suggestions.

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
This is what Excel is: .... used for spacing

Field1.............Field2........Field3......etc., etc.

Rich...............SAT
.....................08/06/19
.....................IN.............OUT
Customer........Conery-1
Am................700............800
Pm
Customer
Am
Pm
etc.
etc.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
This is what Excel is: .... used for spacing

Field1.............Field2........Field3......etc., etc.

Rich...............SAT
.....................08/06/19
.....................IN.............OUT
Customer........Conery-1
Am................700............800
Pm
Customer
Am
Pm
etc.
etc.

Actually, that is another problem. Access is not the same as Excel. We don't recommend storing the data into tables like that. In database design, there is a principle we follow called Normalization. If you're more comfortable using Excel, then maybe you need to use Excel and save Access for later. Just my 2 cents...

dcavaiani

Registered User.
Local time
Actually, that is another problem. Access is not the same as Excel. We don't recommend storing the data into tables like that. In database design, there is a principle we follow called Normalization. If you're more comfortable using Excel, then maybe you need to use Excel and save Access for later. Just my 2 cents...

I am fully aware of that, and that's how it works now (Excel is transferred over to Access Tables). However, I do see advantages to NOT have to have anything "to do" with the Excel side at all - So that's why the search for a "nearly" comparable solution - wholly within Access.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I am fully aware of that, and that's how it works now (Excel is transferred over to Access Tables). However, I do see advantages to NOT have to have anything "to do" with the Excel side at all - So that's why the search for a "nearly" comparable solution - wholly within Access.

Hi. If you are determined to move your process from Excel to Access, then you need to prepare yourself to do it the "Access way." Just transferring worksheets into tables may not cut it. You'll have to normalize the data. After you have designed a solid table structure, then you can design your forms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom